• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best CLEAR app tape

phototec

What is the best CLEAR app tape for small (7" circle) cut vinyl (651) decals?

I just got a roll of AT65 and it's nice and clear, but it does not work well, no matter how much I squeegee when you try and remove the backing the vinyl for some of the letters stays stuck on the backing sheet. Almost like the app tape does not have enough adhesive.

Is this a bad roll of app tape or the wrong product for this task?

:thankyou:

BUMP - Anyone have some info on AT65 app tape?

:thankyou:

We have used both AT65 and AT75 with 651 and I've noticed the same thing with the AT65, that it releases form the vinyl rather than pulling the vinyl away from the backing. As far as technical data goes on both, RTape says the AT65 is considered medium tack, whereas the AT75 is considered high tack. I just went over to the tape rack and stuck my finger to both and you can literally feel the difference. Keep in mind that the AT75 will leave a criss-crossed air egress pattern in the vinyl when applied, if that makes any difference.

phototec

We have used both AT65 and AT75 with 651 and I've noticed the same thing with the AT65, that it releases form the vinyl rather than pulling the vinyl away from the backing. As far as technical data goes on both, RTape says the AT65 is considered medium tack, whereas the AT75 is considered high tack. I just went over to the tape rack and stuck my finger to both and you can literally feel the difference. Keep in mind that the AT75 will leave a criss-crossed air egress pattern in the vinyl when applied, if that makes any difference.

I have a older roll of R-Tape Conform series (says with RLA release liner adhesive), no product number in the core, it has a kind of textured (grid) surface on the top. The roll has turned a bit yellow over time, I don't know what the product number is, however it does work for these decals much better, it just doesn't look good - Yellow.

Attachments

• App tape on left turning yellow.jpg
    App tape on left turning yellow.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 168
I have a older roll of R-Tape Conform series (says with RLA release liner adhesive), no product number in the core, it has a kind of textured (grid) surface on the top. The roll has turned a bit yellow over time, I don't know what the product number is, however it does work for these decals much better, it just doesn't look good - Yellow.

Hmmm...our roll of AT75 is clear, more or less. It's got a slightly hazy white appearance, but definitely not yellow, although yours is perhaps yellow from age. Also, the AT75 is from the Clear Choice line, not the Conform line, so you might have something altogether different there.

I would definitely give the AT75 a try. They will usually have no problem sending out a 6" sample roll to test. 90% of what we use is the 4075 and 4076 Conform series, but the AT75 is pretty decent when a clear tape is needed. After reading on the RTape website about the three Clear Choice options, I guess they claim the AT65 to be high tack, also, but I beg to differ. Apparently so does our supplier, because they call it medium tack, which sounds about right.

phototec

Hmmm...our roll of AT75 is clear, more or less. It's got a slightly hazy white appearance, but definitely not yellow, although yours is perhaps yellow from age. Also, the AT75 is from the Clear Choice line, not the Conform line, so you might have something altogether different there.

I would definitely give the AT75 a try. They will usually have no problem sending out a 6" sample roll to test. 90% of what we use is the 4075 and 4076 Conform series, but the AT75 is pretty decent when a clear tape is needed. After reading on the RTape website about the three Clear Choice options, I guess they claim the AT65 to be high tack, also, but I beg to differ. Apparently so does our supplier, because they call it medium tack, which sounds about right.

:goodpost:

Hey, I want thank you for taking your time to help me, you have given me lots of info and I appreciate it.

:thankyou: :clapping: :rock-n-roll: :thumb:

Wensco Mike

Couple of things, if it is yellow it is old, depending on where you stock the tape at it will yellow more quickly. At-65 is the all around tape but is considered a High-tack transfer tape. Tranferrite makes a medium tack 1510 that is moisture resistant for long storage. Just a quick run down on specs AT-65 is a high tack 4.3 mil, AT-75 is a High Tack 6.4 mil air-egress, TranferRite 1310 is medium tack 3.9 mil, Transferrite 1510 medium tack 4.6 mil moisture resistant. Hope this helps

phototec

Couple of things, if it is yellow it is old, depending on where you stock the tape at it will yellow more quickly. At-65 is the all around tape but is considered a High-tack transfer tape. Tranferrite makes a medium tack 1510 that is moisture resistant for long storage. Just a quick run down on specs AT-65 is a high tack 4.3 mil, AT-75 is a High Tack 6.4 mil air-egress, TranferRite 1310 is medium tack 3.9 mil, Transferrite 1510 medium tack 4.6 mil moisture resistant. Hope this helps

My roll of AT65 was just delivered from signwarehouse last week and I thought it was high tac, however it was not lifting the cut vinyl graphic off the backing paper. Maybe I got a bad roll, so I sent I it back to SW yesterday.
I need to order something else, maybe AT75?