• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best entry level grand format printer 10' or larger currently

BANNERS2GO

We have a 54" Roland and a 72" Rastek flatbed currently and are looking for a wider printer at least 100" but would prefer a 10'. I have done some reasearch but would like some recommendations from actual users.

BANNERS2GO

And as far as ink goes. We would prefer anything but true solvent. So UV, Eco-solvent, Latex. And the machine would be used mainly for banners.

rjssigns

Might want to quiz artbot on the Chinese printers. WIT Color is a nice looking unit. MICOLOR even has THK rails and bearings for those in the know. If I could find the info i would post about the 126" unit I found. About $12K for a double DX5 delivered and if I remember correctly it prints 1700 sq. ft. an hour at 360x360. I figure for that kind of money you could buy 2 and keep the second for spares. Oh yeah, ink is 50 bucks a liter too.

As much as i would like that unit I am going to wait out the pending latex and hybrid ink wars along with the inevitable launch of some very good Chinese eco-sol printers. Fur will be flying, and once the dust settles I think there will be fantastic deals to be had. The migration away from Epson heads by some of the mainstays tells you the wind of change is blowin'.

Letterbox Mike

Check out the CET Color 500H hybrid UV. It's 98" so not 10' like you wanted, but it's fast and affordable at about $85k for the 4-color version. It's a hybrid flatbed so you can run roll-to-roll or boards.

artbot

we have two guinea pigs on board (thank you brave ones!) that are purchasing the wit-color ultra 9000. one of them being the 3.6 (a shop out in africa!) chinese printer regularly go beyond 72". in fact 72" is their standard, not 60" and there are no 54" models to be found. the standard sizes are 1.5, 1.8, 2.2 (sometimes), 2.5 often, 3.2-3.3 (very often), and 3.6. it costs just a few hundred in supplies to make a printer a foot longer. so they go for it on size. and from what i've seen $12-14k will get you a nice printer. the dx5 heads will be non-coded heads so they will run you about $575 to replace (epson's wholesale on a dx5 is about $65 in their desktop printers. of course not the rest of the world).

also, latex will come to dx5 too. and the temp will be lower. the reason HP's temp is so high is to escape the temperature of the thermal head. that is why the jv400 is lower curing temp. but at $14k, all it has to do is make money for two years and you'll still be able to get about $8k for it used.

but let's see how solid these printers are with the two pioneers.

Circleville Signs

Really looking forward to hearing the results of the wit-color experiment. I'm seriously considering a chinese flatbed if the results are good.

artbot

wit-color makes a 4x8 (2.5m gantry) dx5 solvent flatbed using the ultra 9000 for $22k. i wish it was just a bit more gigantic. only 15% of what i do is under 4x8. and my diy flatbed is sure to come in at around $12k and probably be POS.

...xtr seems to be all about the low budget flatbeds. they even have an uv LED mutoh 1204 flatbed.

Circleville Signs

wit-color makes a 4x8 (2.5m gantry) dx5 solvent flatbed using the ultra 9000 for $22k. i wish it was just a bit more gigantic. only 15% of what i do is under 4x8. and my diy flatbed is sure to come in at around $12k and probably be POS.

...xtr seems to be all about the low budget flatbeds. they even have an uv LED mutoh 1204 flatbed.

Yeah - I'm wanting at least a 4'x8' print area. Need to be able to do higher volume yard sign work in a more cost effective manner than I am now.

That being said, I'm also looking at a CNC set-up of some type hopefully this year. Not sure which i will pull the trigger on first...

MatthewTimothy

Check out the CET Color 500H hybrid UV. It's 98" so not 10' like you wanted, but it's fast and affordable at about $85k for the 4-color version. It's a hybrid flatbed so you can run roll-to-roll or boards.

if that is the same one I saw at ISA show next to the Flora booth it looks like a cheap knock off. FYI.....

HulkSmash

if that is the same one I saw at ISA show next to the Flora booth it looks like a cheap knock off. FYI.....

basing a flatbed off of looks?

The gs6000 looks like a Mercedes, and the latex looks like cheap Hyundai.
Which got better results. The CET is the best bang for your buck. Good owners, good product, good everything.

MatthewTimothy

basing a flatbed off of looks?

The gs6000 looks like a Mercedes, and the latex looks like cheap Hyundai.
Which got better results. The CET is the best bang for your buck. Good owners, good product, good everything.

no im basing that on:

1. strike plate for the CET is a bar outside the chassis and only covers what appeared to be 1/2" of space compared to the flora's full width of the head.

2. I do not recall the CET having the auto height adjustment detection for materials.

3. You can configure more heads on the Flora than the CET.

4. Warranty for the Flora is better than the CET.

I also heard some rumors in regards to the CET, but im doing research to verify the rumors before saying anything else. Also this is all based on what I can remember, but we looked at a lot and I have not had time to look over all my notes.

Overall we looked at UV flatbeds from AGFA, Teckwin, CET, Flora and a few other new ones out there.

Christian @ 2CT Media

So I could get a flatbed, a 16' printer from WIT Color and get a CNC Router for less than just a flatbed here... sweet.

artbot

yup. i was on the shopbot forum a few months ago and there was a discussion about how the chinese cnc's might put shopbot out of business. i'm not a cnc enthusiast. i have a shopbot and hate cnc work. but maybe the cncs from china are pretty sweet too. they've been doing cnc routers much longer than printers. if you want to get buried in options look on alibaba for cncs. bazillions of models.

benjakes

Sounds like someone is drinking flora kool aid

The flora unit is the old unit cet designed and discontinued. The new cet unit is outstanding. If you have any quest.ions let me know, I own them both.

Ben

Last edited:

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Well...it really depends on your requirements. Do you want UV...Solvent....hybrid...true flatbed or roll to roll?? Weve got a 3360 SC and a 3360 EC im selling actually....both are True solid workhorses. Coupled that with my QS 2000 hybrid and we have a lot of capabilites in house. Banners...wraps...transit have been mainstays for us on those machines. Its time to just move onto something else with a higher capacity as we grow now after 6+ years in biz.

LarryB

The flora unit is the old unit cet designed and discontinued. The new cet unit is outstanding. If you have any quest.ions let me know, I own them both.

Ben

Ben

I was at ISA and impressed with the CET unit as well. Can you let me know how long you have owned it and how many times has it been down? It seems to be an easier unit to work on as compared to the HP FB series.

The owners encourage you to come to Atlanta for a couple days to learn everything about the machine including tearing it apart and putting it back together. Nice machine prints fast and great quality.

Thanks

Larry

Well...it really depends on your requirements. Do you want UV...Solvent....hybrid...true flatbed or roll to roll?? Weve got a 3360 SC and a 3360 EC im selling actually....both are True solid workhorses. Coupled that with my QS 2000 hybrid and we have a lot of capabilites in house. Banners...wraps...transit have been mainstays for us on those machines. Its time to just move onto something else with a higher capacity as we grow now after 6+ years in biz.

bill if you are looking to unload the ec3360 let me know my outsource partner in eastern Europe is looking to buy one asap.. he is in Romania
and I send him tons of 30 sheet billboards for him to handle for us in Russia they all still print blue back paper solvent only...

he has a couple 5330S a couple QS a Gs and 6 3360s cannot seem to find a ec3360 and needs one..

I can email you his info first am..