Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best paint to use for vinyl lettering?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by depps74, Aug 21, 2018.

1. depps74

depps74 Member

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    What is the best paint for vinyl lettering to stick to. I have found cheap paints, but looking for a consensus on brands, colors, and drying times here.

2. Pippin Decals

Pippin Decals Active Member

May 29, 2015
    Ca.
    For me ,I use Gloss White Rust-Oleum Professional enamel oil based for signs etc. Holds perfect. I edge seal everything with a paintable silicon and paint that as well.,I let it dry for 2-3 days minimum days depending on temperature before adding vinyl.I like the oil based because it lays super flat and smooth when it dries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Acrylic polyurethane or any good quality oil base enamel. But in this world it's good to find a quality waterborne paint since we soon won't be able to get anything else. Oh and "cheap paints" isn't a good brand.

4. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    Since the "70's we have used good quality marine enamel with a "dash" of acrylic automotive paint hardener added for extra gloss and durability. Prime first, then 2 coats rolled on with a smooth foam roller. I've had MDO signs last over 20 years using this method.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    I always use a automotive glaze on th edges of my letters to seal them then I use an auto acrylic for the color.

6. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Signmakers that don't use Ronan or One Shot or Chromatic? I guess Gino is right...

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

:confused:

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    By the way..... what are we painting ?? A vehicle, piece of metal, wood, pvc.......... ??
    Indoor..... outdoor....... ??

• Like Like x 1
  9. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Your thread about finding cheaper ways to do things than what used to be industry standards.

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Oh, Okay. Yep, I guess so......................

11. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    "Signmakers that don't use Ronan or One Shot or Chromatic?"
    Not sure what that was supposed to mean, Unclebun, but I thought we we talking about painting a substrate so vinyl can be applied. I use 1shot and Chromatic for lettering but I don't think either are a good choice to coat out a 4x8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. depps74

depps74 Member

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    Great question. Indoor walls for paragraphs 1"-3/4" lettering

13. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    I haven't used it yet but it was recently recommended to me: PPG Breakthrough. Stuff evidently dries fast and hard. Meaning you can paint a panel in the morning and theoretically lay down vinyl in the afternoon/evening, although it likely is best to still wait 24 hours.

14. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    What grade of vinyl lasts 20 years?

15. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    The signs I was referring to were all handpainted with OneShot. But I have had good success with cast avery films lasting 12-15 years.

16. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We used to use 1Shot, and Ronan, but then started using I believe the name was Insul-X. I don't think it's made anymore, but regardless of the color, it all covered in one coat. We'd prime, top coat, sand tack and one more coat for gloss. That stuff, and the 1Shot would easily last 20 to 25 years. Almost everything was done on duraply, what is known as MDO today. Then letter with 1Shot. That would vary according to colors be lettered.

As for the OP's question, I say some nice low luster sheen latex paint, that is NOT meant for kitchens, bathrooms or other easy cleanup areas. Those paints will repel the vinyl.