• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best paint to use for vinyl lettering?

depps74

What is the best paint for vinyl lettering to stick to. I have found cheap paints, but looking for a consensus on brands, colors, and drying times here.

Pippin Decals

For me ,I use Gloss White Rust-Oleum Professional enamel oil based for signs etc. Holds perfect. I edge seal everything with a paintable silicon and paint that as well.,I let it dry for 2-3 days minimum days depending on temperature before adding vinyl.I like the oil based because it lays super flat and smooth when it dries.

Billct2

Acrylic polyurethane or any good quality oil base enamel. But in this world it's good to find a quality waterborne paint since we soon won't be able to get anything else. Oh and "cheap paints" isn't a good brand.

sardocs

Since the "70's we have used good quality marine enamel with a "dash" of acrylic automotive paint hardener added for extra gloss and durability. Prime first, then 2 coats rolled on with a smooth foam roller. I've had MDO signs last over 20 years using this method.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
By the way..... what are we painting ?? A vehicle, piece of metal, wood, pvc.......... ??
Indoor..... outdoor....... ??

sardocs

"Signmakers that don't use Ronan or One Shot or Chromatic?"
Not sure what that was supposed to mean, Unclebun, but I thought we we talking about painting a substrate so vinyl can be applied. I use 1shot and Chromatic for lettering but I don't think either are a good choice to coat out a 4x8.

rossmosh

I haven't used it yet but it was recently recommended to me: PPG Breakthrough. Stuff evidently dries fast and hard. Meaning you can paint a panel in the morning and theoretically lay down vinyl in the afternoon/evening, although it likely is best to still wait 24 hours.

TimToad

Since the "70's we have used good quality marine enamel with a "dash" of acrylic automotive paint hardener added for extra gloss and durability. Prime first, then 2 coats rolled on with a smooth foam roller. I've had MDO signs last over 20 years using this method.
What grade of vinyl lasts 20 years?

sardocs

The signs I was referring to were all handpainted with OneShot. But I have had good success with cast avery films lasting 12-15 years.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We used to use 1Shot, and Ronan, but then started using I believe the name was Insul-X. I don't think it's made anymore, but regardless of the color, it all covered in one coat. We'd prime, top coat, sand tack and one more coat for gloss. That stuff, and the 1Shot would easily last 20 to 25 years. Almost everything was done on duraply, what is known as MDO today. Then letter with 1Shot. That would vary according to colors be lettered.

As for the OP's question, I say some nice low luster sheen latex paint, that is NOT meant for kitchens, bathrooms or other easy cleanup areas. Those paints will repel the vinyl.

root554735

I use Prestige Paints E100-9 because this paint makes the best choice for masonry, vinyl, and cement surfaces and this paint is manufactured keeping wood fence, deck, siding, and doors. This exterior wood paint makes sure you get peace of mind for the coming years while nurturing the beauty of your exterior.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I understand that is a really good paint. Never thought of using it for signs. Does it come in a big variety of colors ?? And does it come in gloss ??

geb

Acrylic polyurethane or any good quality oil base enamel. But in this world it's good to find a quality waterborne paint since we soon won't be able to get anything else. Oh and "cheap paints" isn't a good brand.
I agree with you when you say we won't be able to get anything else.