Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best printer for our needs????

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by thesledhead, Nov 20, 2009.

1. thesledhead

thesledhead New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    About 4 years ago I bought a package deal from Sign Warehouse:frustrated: that came with a Falcon jr. printer and a Q45 cutter. Well the cutter has been great and the only thing we have made money on. The printer however has been nothing but a 4 year headache :banghead:. We have replaced x,y motors, heads, lines, capping stations and this week the main board. I just cant take it anymore. I think one problem is we don't use the printer enough to justify having a ink printer, however doing 1-2 print jobs a week I cant justify outsourcing the work. Plus the few jobs we have outsourced have been very poor quality that I had to redo on my coin to make it right.

So with that said, what is the best printer for a small shop that will use it once or twice a week? I also would like to deal with a company that has GOOD customer service and will stand behind their product.

Tags:
  2. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    30" versacamm. You can get used ones for around $5k

3. thesledhead

thesledhead New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Thanks, is that a heat transfer or? What is a 38" falcon jr that works this week worth? :ROFLMAO:

4. sizzlingsigns

sizzlingsigns Member

Jun 3, 2008
  5. gnatt66

gnatt66 Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    NH
    30" vp300i here....i love it. small footprint, prints and cuts and i can let it sit if i need to for a couple days with no issues. it's affordable and does the job well.

6. B Snyder

B Snyder Very Active Member

Jan 25, 2004
  7. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    falcon jr = 45 cents, or two chicken pies!

8. thesledhead

thesledhead New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Thanks, so you can leave the printer for a couple days without the heads drying out? Ours is actually a 48" not a 38" but I have rarely used it for more than a 24" job.
    Who makes that?
    thanks

9. thesledhead

thesledhead New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    LMAO and here I thought I was the only one with love for the falcon jr:ROFLMAO: now are these homemade pies????

10. gnatt66

gnatt66 Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    NH
    sorry vp300i is a Roland versacamm. it's the 4 head version (newer design) and is faster than a sp-300 but both are proven super reliable machines. either way is a great choice.

11. thesledhead

thesledhead New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    :thumb: gotcha. Are there more service facility's for the Rolland's?

12. B Snyder

B Snyder Very Active Member

Jan 25, 2004
    www.rolanddga.com

13. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

if you are only doing a few print jobs a month (1-2 a week = 4-8 a month) i would only outsource. i use my falcon 46 everyday and i think i may have been better off outsourcing to start off. think about it the profit on those jobs would hardly cover the maintenence of the print much less a payment.

14. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Once you get a printer you can rely on, you will be using more than you think...
    Much easier to print 2 or 3 colors than cut & weed.

15. Todd M Castle

Todd M Castle Member

Feb 4, 2007
    This was your only problem with the current model printer you had. The outdoor was a good printer but needed to be taken care of like a puppy. If it was not used that printer did have issues.

With that being said both the new Rolands and Mutoh have corrected the issue of not needing to print everyday and both are great printers. You can't go wrong with either.

Good luck on whichever you choose.

16. KevSign

KevSign Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Orange, CA
    How about our Mutoh 1604 64" Great Condition, No rip because we using wasatch driving 4 our printers. $10,500. email kn2k@yahoo.com or 714-313-0164

17. imagep

imagep Active Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Thats what I was thinking. We have only been doing digital printing in house for about a year and a half, but now we use it EVERY day. I cant imagine having a machine and not using a good bit.

Maybe the origional poster should concentrate on building his business more than worring about which printer will be ok sitting around for days without use.