Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best system setup for running onyx?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ScotJ, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ScotJ

ScotJ Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I'm currently running a p4 3.6 ghz with 2 gb of ram on windows 32bit. I'm thinking of upgrading to 64 bit so I can run more ram. Ideally this will speed up rips a bit.

Thoughts?

Tags:
  2. SignAttack

SignAttack Member

Sep 19, 2008
    The merchant that sells SignBurst systems has said that running more ram is a good effective way to speed things up and ram is pretty cheap now a day.
    Also, quad systems work nice as well to run more software at once or anything else you can haul at it
    I'd buy one of them SignBurst computers if i had money but I need new laminator lol and spent alot on Lacie monitor and other crap for my custom rig "the black demon" ..
    (sounds sexy I know)

3. ScotJ

ScotJ Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Oh yea? What so special about the signburst systems?

As for quad processors or quad core, I don't know if Onyx supports quad core processing. I guess I'll have to give them a call. We don't run anything else on this computer, just Onyx (our rip). We have several other computers for graphics manipulation.

4. SignAttack

SignAttack Member

Sep 19, 2008
    SignBurst machine are like a monster and look pretty damn kool
    Oh that changes cards around if you got an independent RIP station.
    Some ram 10thous RPM / zero Raid hard drive should be more than enough

5. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

We just did a test of the most recent version of Onyx on one of 64 Bit systems (SuperNova) at a Mutoh Open House event. It was really impressive seeing how fast it tore through the RIP jobs.

We do sell a 32 Bit, "RIP only" system (SignBurst Inferno™ "RIP" Edition). It really speeds up the RIPs without having to go to 64 Bit. It is really about how fast you actually want to go.

6. SignAttack

SignAttack Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Well said Sir and one of these days I will grab on of your systems in gloss black

7. SignBurst PCs

Please let me know if there is ever anything that I can do for you. I appreciate the kind words.

8. SignAttack

SignAttack Member

Sep 19, 2008
    I use to be a computer lover and you have built a thing of true beauty
    which in my opinion exceeds Falcon or AlienWare systems in value and components
    As soon as I get my but off this forum and make more signs lo I will put money aside for a late X-Mas gift to myself
    Have you thought of changing name of system to "Game Burst" for die hard gamers

9. ScotJ

ScotJ Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Any word as to the effectiveness of dual core processors with Onyx, or does it only support single core processing? I think we're going to throw 10gb or so of ramm in our rip computer. Hopefully it'll speed things up a bit more.

10. SignBurst PCs

Onyx has given us its "optimal" hardware recommendations and we have used them to design our SignBurst Inferno™ "RIP" system.

Each RIP job can use a separate core. The more jobs that you RIP at once, the more cores you can use.

11. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    When I was printing with onyx postershop, in-house about 5 years ago, I upgraded to a Dell Dual Xeon processor with 2 gigs of ram and dual hard drives. Since it was a RIP only computer, connected to a network and server, it had no problems handling large 500+mb files and running 2 printers.
    Today, I would take a serious look at the Signburst PC's because Casey seems to be genuinely interested in making good systems for the graphics industry.
    I would stay away from anything store bought and make sure you get some sort of warranty/service agreement too. Computers never seem to break down when you don't need them :)

Checkers