• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best system setup for running onyx?

ScotJ

I'm currently running a p4 3.6 ghz with 2 gb of ram on windows 32bit. I'm thinking of upgrading to 64 bit so I can run more ram. Ideally this will speed up rips a bit.

Thoughts?

SignAttack

The merchant that sells SignBurst systems has said that running more ram is a good effective way to speed things up and ram is pretty cheap now a day.
Also, quad systems work nice as well to run more software at once or anything else you can haul at it
I'd buy one of them SignBurst computers if i had money but I need new laminator lol and spent alot on Lacie monitor and other crap for my custom rig "the black demon" ..
(sounds sexy I know)

ScotJ

Oh yea? What so special about the signburst systems?

As for quad processors or quad core, I don't know if Onyx supports quad core processing. I guess I'll have to give them a call. We don't run anything else on this computer, just Onyx (our rip). We have several other computers for graphics manipulation.

SignAttack

SignBurst machine are like a monster and look pretty damn kool
Oh that changes cards around if you got an independent RIP station.
Some ram 10thous RPM / zero Raid hard drive should be more than enough

SignBurst PCs

We just did a test of the most recent version of Onyx on one of 64 Bit systems (SuperNova) at a Mutoh Open House event. It was really impressive seeing how fast it tore through the RIP jobs.

We do sell a 32 Bit, "RIP only" system (SignBurst Inferno™ "RIP" Edition). It really speeds up the RIPs without having to go to 64 Bit. It is really about how fast you actually want to go.

SignAttack

I use to be a computer lover and you have built a thing of true beauty
which in my opinion exceeds Falcon or AlienWare systems in value and components
As soon as I get my but off this forum and make more signs lo I will put money aside for a late X-Mas gift to myself
Have you thought of changing name of system to "Game Burst" for die hard gamers

ScotJ

Any word as to the effectiveness of dual core processors with Onyx, or does it only support single core processing? I think we're going to throw 10gb or so of ramm in our rip computer. Hopefully it'll speed things up a bit more.

Checkers

When I was printing with onyx postershop, in-house about 5 years ago, I upgraded to a Dell Dual Xeon processor with 2 gigs of ram and dual hard drives. Since it was a RIP only computer, connected to a network and server, it had no problems handling large 500+mb files and running 2 printers.
Today, I would take a serious look at the Signburst PC's because Casey seems to be genuinely interested in making good systems for the graphics industry.
I would stay away from anything store bought and make sure you get some sort of warranty/service agreement too. Computers never seem to break down when you don't need them :)

Checkers