• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best way to grow your customer base?

shuv76

Hello,, I was wanting to ask for some different opinions on how do you grow your customer base? Right now I have a good handful of customers and they keep coming back and it is not because that I do things cheap for them but I do good work and will a lot of times hang the signs or make something to hang them with. ( you know improvision). Most of them are lost on that one. They have no idea how to hang signs correctly. But I would really like to increase my base, but not having good luck with it. Just any ideas are greatly appreciated. Paul

ams

First of all, to keep customers coming back, you need to be polite and honest.
Be friendly, even joke around with them make them comfortable, nobody wants to go into a business and be told "here is your stuff, bye". If they come back a second time be like "Hey Fred, need more signs? how is the last one doing?".

Second if they black lettering on a window, tell them "to be honest the black won't show up without an outline, may I suggest white so you can get the full effect?". People love that.

Now to get customers, want I do is tack business cards and brochures to cork boards in local businesses, put flyers on work trucks that are blank, tell business owners that you know that you need help in getting started, they will pass the word, also use craigslist to post a couple ads, 1 in services, 1 in business/commercial, and maybe 1 in cars and trucks.

Doing this got me 3 new jobs in 2 days.

binki

If you have a physical location then a one page web site with your name, phone number, address and things you do on the site. Then register with the search engines. You will be found that way.

Referrals. We offer our customers a 10% referral fee for new customers.

Cold calling. We use down time to do cold calling on local businesses.

Targeted advertising. We use printed flyers and distribute them to potential customers. Got to a local street fair and you will find dozens of booths that need signage.

Locals Find!

If you can't figure out how to get customers without having to ask. Close your doors now and stand in a welfare line.

Just because you can buy equipment doesn't mean your actually in business. Step out of the way and make room for those who actually had a clue when they decided to open a business.

ams

If you can't figure out how to get customers without having to ask. Close your doors now and stand in a welfare line.

Just because you can buy equipment doesn't mean your actually in business. Step out of the way and make room for those who actually had a clue when they decided to open a business.

I find that very rude, we all have questions and need help. Of course he does know how to advertise, but we can advise him on what worked best for us, and what we recommend. Anyone knows you can advertise on tv, radio, newspaper, etc.

Locals Find!

Fine, if you really need to know you have to do the basics, network, cold call, advertise and simply ask for referrals.

If you don't ask your customers for referrals. Your missing out. Ask them politely to give you the names and numbers of 3 people that might also be able to use your services and hand them some of your cards to pass out.

Also, get out and hand out your business cards, knock on some doors.

If all that is too complicated still. Then become a wholesale trade only shop and let someone like myself bring the work to you. I will be glad to keep doing all the above and pay you to stay in your shop producing work all day. I am sure there are plenty more people like me also willing to pay. So we don't have to sit in the shop running equipment.

Was that less rude?

Joe Diaz

Keeping doing good work. And not just good quality products but work hard for your customers too. You keep doing that, word will travel.

But most importantly take care of those repeat customers. Build working relationships. Don't always just take the order. A lot of times people don't know all of the options. So if you know a better, long lasting, cost effective way, you need to sell them that. It will pay off big. They will trust you. They will tell their friends.

Obviously there are other great methods to growing your customer base, but you asked for the best way. And I think if you are already doing good work, you are already doing the best thing you can.

JR's

if you can't figure out how to get customers without having to ask. Close your doors now and stand in a welfare line.

big stinker!!!

:roflmao:

Jr

Attachments

• pile_of_crap.jpg
    pile_of_crap.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 56

showcase 66

Referral programs are great as well. we have a referral program for business cards and some other items we offer. If you can get your customer to advertise for you. You will get more customers.

binki

If you want to get on Radio, they often do trade. Keep in mind these are the smaller stations that don't have many listeners but you can get 'free' advertising that way.

Here in Los Angeles you can get on the number one station in the country between 5am and 6am simply by feeding the morning crew. Now you may think that 5am is a little early but in these parts there are about 2 million folks stuck on the highways in traffic at that time and there are no ratings during that period so they pretty much are free to do what they want.

Back to the smaller stations. We wrapped a van for a local station that no one listens to and we got the entire back of the van for our own advertising. Two years later, long after our 8 week contract expired, the wrap is still there.

Radio is non targeted advertising so we would not do it. The wrap was in trade for sponsoring local high school football games and we had a broadcast from the 'game of the week' and a booth at the game and we do 'spirit wear' so for us that was targeted advertising.

Farmboy

+1 for what Joe said.
Word of mouth is the best form of advertising for what your doing. I would avoid high dollar ads such as TV, Radio and Newspaper. The ROI is terrible!! Be focused on who you want to sell to. We focus on local business. Print up some gift certificates to hand out to the folks coming in looking for donations. Offer a banner at a discounted price if you can put your business name and number on it. There are plenty of good ideas out there. Some will work for you and some won't, but continuing to put out great work and doing it On Time will keep people coming back and they will spread the good word.

shuv76

Thanks for all of your input. It is appreciated very much. I guess I deserved the remarks from Adtechia LLC. I am really not that much of a buisinesman but I like dealing with people. Just wondered what were some of the things you asked and said to your customers and you let me know.
Take care and Keep on Keeping on......Paul

HulkSmash

You're not a jerk. Oh wait..

Locals Find!

Thanks for all of your input. It is appreciated very much. I guess I deserved the remarks from Adtechia LLC. I am really not that much of a buisinesman but I like dealing with people. Just wondered what were some of the things you asked and said to your customers and you let me know.
Take care and Keep on Keeping on......Paul

I apologize about my earlier remarks. I attempted to make up for my rudeness with good solid information.

I hope you can find your path whatever it may be.