• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best way to setup and wrap this shuttle?

Hello All -

We have a customer who wants us to wrap a shuttle with the attached artwork. We normally design shuttle wraps to be simple, but this customer provided us some complex artwork and a few team members has suggested doing horizontal panels instead of vertical panels due to the design. I'm concerned about the durability of vertical panels and the ease of installation since we will have this installed by one installer and keeping the panel level over 20 ft. might be difficult. Also, we will do window perf on the windows on the sides and back.

So my question is, how would you wrap this? What would you do for the prepress and printing of panels to ensure everything lines up and is level across the shuttle?

Finally, I've attached photos of the shuttle in the shop so you can see how it looks, how would you handle stopping the graphic on the roof since it looks like we can see the whole roof when standing about 30 yards away (and I'm only 5 ft. 8 in. on a good day)?

Attachments

• SR18_ShuttleBus_OneTenthScale_Version_Pattern_2.pdf
    969.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_20190521_154912.jpg
    IMG_20190521_154912.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 414
  • IMG_20190521_154923.jpg
    IMG_20190521_154923.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 331
  • IMG_20190521_154933.jpg
    IMG_20190521_154933.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 368
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 11.23.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 11.23.56 AM.png
    421 KB · Views: 319
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 11.24.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 11.24.00 AM.png
    281.5 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Kinda hard to give an answer without seeing artwork...

I will say this, that looks like an easy bus to wrap... its body is pretty square... I've wrapped harder / curvier ones

Kinda hard to give an answer without seeing artwork...

I will say this, that looks like an easy bus to wrap... its body is pretty square... I've wrapped harder / curvier ones

The at work is the first attachment on the post, it's a multipage PDF you would need to download to see what the artwork looks like.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Horizontal may be the winner there...

I would start on the back of the bus so that lady lines up...and then work to the front. I don't think you'd have issues keeping it straight... if you get nervous you can always use cut vinyl for the white lettering and put that on top of the wrap. I think the hard part is going to be the front of that bus for sure...I'm sweating just thinking about it.

ThatGuy

We have done a few of these.
I would definitely use cut vinyl for the letter on front over the cab.
The artwork needs to be adjusted for the rear if the recessed area is deep. The lettering at the bottom & the "Dude" need to be adjusted. We usually do a cut & drop to that section.
I would also recommend horizontal prints for the sides. I do not know if they are going to be happy with the lettering across the windows after install. The rubber is very wide & you will lose a lot of material/detail after trimmed.

FYI... The over cab section is a beast of its own. I would make it easy and use 4 pieces.

We have done a few of these.
I would definitely use cut vinyl for the letter on front over the cab.
The artwork needs to be adjusted for the rear if the recessed area is deep. The lettering at the bottom & the "Dude" need to be adjusted. We usually do a cut & drop to that section.
I would also recommend horizontal prints for the sides. I do not know if they are going to be happy with the lettering across the windows after install. The rubber is very wide & you will lose a lot of material/detail after trimmed.

FYI... The over cab section is a beast of its own. I would make it easy and use 4 pieces.
Thanks for the suggestions, when you say do four pieces on the top? how would you split them? Are they running vertical (from front to back) or horizontal (similar to how a normal wrap is installed)?

Thanks!

ThatGuy

1 piece on each side as far around the curves as possible without over stretch.
1 piece from top of cab to curve starting up.
1 piece for front & top. Overlap other pieces as much as needed.
Knife tape is your friend.

A person more skilled may do it in 2 pieces, but 4 makes it much easier.