• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the causes the browning?

ThePrinter

Just wondering if anyone has an idea about what caused the browning and the outline effect it gives around the letters? This is an outdoor library book drop and that particular side faces the east. I did not do this wrap, nor do I know how old the print is.

Attachments

• Right side print.jpg
    Right side print.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 48

ThePrinter

Yeah, I wish I knew what materials were used. I will be re doing the book drop and want to see if I can prevent that from happening again.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Combination of things. Could be crap materials but that can happen to the best cast material as well. One thing many are not aware of that causes a LOT of damage to vinyl is dew (and the acids and other chemicals in it). Of course UV exposure also causes damage as well. My guess is the reason you see wraps and printed vinyl do that on the white unprinted areas more than printed areas is the solvents from the ink causes some changes to the materials. it seems counter-intuitive to me though, I want to think the white would reflect the light more and the darker colors absorb it more but maybe that is just the "heat" of the light and the actual UV parts work just the opposite? I've had to remove wraps on hoods where unprinted white areas were a nightmare breaking into a million pieces and the paint underneath is ruined there but the darker printed areas come off much easier in large sections and the paint there was fine.

DesireeM

I want to think the white would reflect the light more and the darker colors absorb it more but maybe that is just the "heat" of the light and the actual UV parts work just the opposite?

Maybe it has the same effect as the "eye black" stuff athletes wipe under their eyes because it reduces the glare from the sun. Could be the reason for the white border around all the black letters.