• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the perf command, similar to "CutContour?"

VicoDrive

We have a Roland large format printer using VersaWorks and we use the spot color "CutContour" for cutting out vinyl. I know there is a similar command that cuts down through the backing and perfs which is ideal for doing a bunch of oval decals. I cant for the life of me remember what that name is called that the spot color needs to be named. Anyone know?

oksigns

We have a Roland large format printer using VersaWorks and we use the spot color "CutContour" for cutting out vinyl. I know there is a similar command that cuts down through the backing and perfs which is ideal for doing a bunch of oval decals. I cant for the life of me remember what that name is called that the spot color needs to be named. Anyone know?

PerfCutContour

100 % Cyan, Spot

VicoDrive

PerfCutContour

100 % Cyan, Spot

Dont recall if that was it or not but will give it a shot. Thanks!

Does it have to be Cyan? That I definitely dont remember. Ive always just used whatever spot color I wanted but always at 100%

SignStudent

I know it doesn't matter what spot color you use with CutContour so I'd imagine the same applies to PerfCutContour.

oksigns

Dont recall if that was it or not but will give it a shot. Thanks!

Does it have to be Cyan? That I definitely dont remember. Ive always just used whatever spot color I wanted but always at 100%

Roland VW is set up to detect 100 % Spot Cyan

blufftonsignguy

I have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer.

1. oksigns, what roland are you running?

2. Does anyone know if a SC-545EX will do perf cuts? I couldn't find anything anywhere that said it would (or would not).

phototec

Here is everything you need to know, Steve Jackson explains it very well:

[video=youtube;S7_PSSOSLos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7_PSSOSLos[/video]

blufftonsignguy

Thank You phototec. I will watch it shortly. The difference I see from what I am looking for is, they are using a versacamm print/cut. I am using an sc 545ex. I am unsure how similar they are, but i do see they are using versaworks. I am not as familiar with all of this as I should be (still learning the basics). Thanks for this video though as I will watch it and see if it helps me out!

oksigns

I use a XR-640 with Versaworks and build artwork with Adobe CC.

You don't need to use a custom pallete provided by Roland, but just remember the 100% Cyan named "PerfCutContour" and 100% Magenta named "CutContour"

I always pay attention to the "perf" and "normal" cut lengths in VW Advanced Cut Controls cause they really do count. For large perf projects, you need enough "tab" material to hold the print in place so it wont fall out.

and please please- make sure you have enough blade extension on your cutter(and not too much). Hold the exposed tip to the finished media thickness- you want just the tip of the blade to be a hair over the thickness of the media, and be gentle on cutting pressure. The most common mistake is having too much of the blade exposed. While you may enjoy nice cuts in the beginning, your cutting strip will fail sooner, dull you blade even faster, and make you second guess your pressure settings and may spoil the cut.

blufftonsignguy

I am not sure what it is, but between versaworks, coreldraw, and adding the perf cut to my color pallet (just like the video shows), versaworks gets really mad at me when I try to open a file with the perfcut color. It gets so mad it shuts down and will not work at all. If i delete the file and attempt to open a new one, it goes right to work as normal. I'm done trying this! Thanks for helping!!