• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the proper method to put on window Perf for a Back window thats curved?

What is the proper method to put on window Perf for a Back window that's curved?
I have done my back window which is a bubble style window and it seems as I get to the bottom it wants to mess up with creasing.

What am I doing wrong ? I go from middle out and works for 90% of the window.

I have a Lexus GS btw.

Any suggestions on how to properly install perforated vinyl on curved windows.

Additional notes: Window perf is not laminated

Jillbeans

I assume (and believe me, I'm really assuming as I do not deal with wraps or perf) that because the window is curved, the vinyl must also be cut to a curve.
Like when I am cutting a vynull window banner (which thankfully I rarely do) I always distort the word into a smile shape, because if you put a straight word on the curved windshield, it turns into a frown. And so does my face but that's another story.
What I'm trying to say is that the windshield is not straight, therefore a straight (rectangular shaped) piece of material is going to curve and crinkle when applied.
Love....Jill

2B

The answer is a little bit of heat. It will do wonders to handle those complex curves.

+1
Perf is VERY forgiving, a little heat is your friend.

we find that setting the window along the middle X axis, then work the middle y axis so the issues are focused to the corners. finally a little heat to relax the wrinkles and sealing with primer 94 or edge seal tape for no curls and off to the next job

visual800

I got a call from another shop to put on of these on the back of small suv. They messed it up twice. They print their own so I told them to add another 4" of background all the way around and I taped it to window with masking tape to align. I then did the hinge method on it and when all laid down there was perf laying out on all sides which I trimmed excess with knife, it was great.

they were trying to concentrate on stretching and covering glass and that caused the issues. Let it lay where it will you can always trim later

I got a call from another shop to put on of these on the back of small suv. They messed it up twice. They print their own so I told them to add another 4" of background all the way around and I taped it to window with masking tape to align. I then did the hinge method on it and when all laid down there was perf laying out on all sides which I trimmed excess with knife, it was great.

they were trying to concentrate on stretching and covering glass and that caused the issues. Let it lay where it will you can always trim later

On short curves I don't have any issues, I think heat is the answer I'm going to try that next time.

i use the hinge method already, I'll see if I can't get a picture to show what I'm talking about.