• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the technic to identify a font?

Marlene

If you don't use a software to ID fonts look at lower case "e a r s" upper case "R S T Q" as often they will help zero in on a font. Serif shape, punctuation (Goudy fonts have diamond shaped periods etc.) will help too.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, i have FontExpert2006 but i can't figure out how to insert a picture of a font to ID it. Could you tell me how you do that?
thanks

You should be able to:

• Scan an image using a twain compliant scanner
  • Open an image in one of the supported formats
  • Paste an image into an open blank page from another program
I usually copy and paste out of Photoshop after first aligning the text to a horizontal baseline and adjusting the Threshhold setting for a crisp black and white sample.

gROUND cHUCK

Fred, i have FontExpert2006 but i can't figure out how to insert a picture of a font to ID it. Could you tell me how you do that?
thanks

The FontExpert that Fred is talking about is a different program from the one you are talking about. One's for browsing fonts and the other's for finding them. From 2 different companies.

The one Fred is talking about is:
http://www.fontexpert.com/english.htm

And the one you are talking about is:
http://www.proximasoftware.com/fontexpert/

RiXaX

Thanks for the clarity, guys.
Fred once mentioned Font Expert and not wanting to pester him with my needs and querries, I got it and it never helped. Now I see that I got the wrong one!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks for the clarity, guys.
Fred once mentioned Font Expert and not wanting to pester him with my needs and querries, I got it and it never helped. Now I see that I got the wrong one!

I really don't mind ... time permitting. To me a font ID is like working a crossword puzzle. A mild challenge, mentally stimulating and instant gratification.