• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is this knocking noise coming from...

VTSigns

My L25500 has just started making a knocking noise at both ends of the printer. The carriage will go out and as soon as it starts to go back home this knocking noise occurs at both ends of the printer. Anyone had this problem with their L25500? What could be causing this? Seems to be printing just fine other than the noise. I have lubricated the rollers and carriage rail and the noise is still present. Any help would be appreciated.

Snydo

I had this happen about a year ago...I used isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean both rails and I then lubricated heavily laying the oil in a 'squigly' pattern the length of the rails. Alot of oil. The banging vanished immediately.

VTSigns

I had this happen about a year ago...I used isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean both rails and I then lubricated heavily laying the oil in a 'squigly' pattern the length of the rails. Alot of oil. The banging vanished immediately.

So you cleaned the main carriage rail and then the rail where the top of the carriage rides along? I have never paid any attention to the rail at the top where the carriages rides. Is this rail suppossed to be lubricated as well? Let me know and I will give this a try.

Snydo

I cleaned and lubed both rails thoroughly, but I saturated the carriage rail(the larger one) with lubricant.

dbot

top rail must be lubricated along with bottom rail as part of the rail lubrication maintenance procedure every time.

Typestries

I'm sure other heavy users like myself will chime in, and cleaning and lubing the rails is spot on. You will get to a point though that the head felts will become so caked with ink, that no matter how much you clean or lube it won't help much. A set of head felts is $20 and they are pretty easy to change. Make sure to soak them in oil before you install them.