• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is this material?

lillhannus

I stumbled across this company that makes motocross decals. On their website it says: "We use undercover printing technology...". I´ve never heard of such a thing.

Here´s a picture of some decals being produced on some transparent material. Can anyone tell me what it is?
1.jpg

MikePro

my money is on Gerber edge printed onto clear.

the gerber edge, along with vinyl plotters from the 80's, are the only reason to use the material with perforated margins.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I'd put my money an Edge too. That is how we would do them if we did not do them with out large format printers

Secret print process......riiiight!

lillhannus

Thanks guys!

The Gerber actually looks really cool but I don't see why you would get one instead of a large format solvent printer. Maybe it´s cheaper? More colors?

Billct2

"undercover printing technology" fancy way of saying reverse print on clear. They could be using convex vinyl/laminate which work in the Edge and are great for motocross stuff. The Edge is a great machine for limited run decals like that especially with spot colors, where you can us metallics for cool effects.

mpn

Can the edge cut the thick material that's used for MX graphics? I'm not familiar with the Gerber setup.

Billct2

Yes, kinda. The Edge doesn't cut anything, you have to partner it with a15" sprocket fed plotter. The Edge can print on convex, then you apply the laminate and cut. My plotter has 30,45 and 60 degree blades for different materials

jfiscus

Rap Master
That really really looks like Gerber LexEdge material. Roll-based lexan material; virtually indestructible and unscratchable since the print is 2nd surface. We pwint a lot of it for faceplates of generators/machines where buttons are constantly being pushed and levers flipped.