• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is this material

The face of this sign has a ribbed plastic (about 1" wide maybe?).... What is this material called?? Can it be purchased anywhere anymore?? or is there and equivilant that could be used

Attachments

• sign sized.bmp
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

dfeicke

I can't think of the name of it anymore, and I'm not sure it's still available. I think it was called V-3. If you have a sign supplier like Laird Plastics, Neon Engineering or Reece Supply that you deal with, just tell them you're looking for the ribbed plastic that's used for marquee or cut-out lettered lighted signs. They'll know what you mean. You may have a problem finding it anymore.

This type of signs is just not done much anymore. Most people are just using flat faces, mostly lexan (polycarbonate). What you will run into, is that the tracks that the ribbed faces fit into are about an inch or more wide. You would need to make some spacers to slide in behind, or glue onto the backside of your new flat faces to hold them snug in the tracks.

Hope this helps.

Mosh

Yes it is V-3. We use to use alot of it. Mostly on message boards. Getting harder to find.
Central Sign supply in Omaha is where I used to get it, it comes in white and yellow. Not used any for a long time.

dfeicke

Seriously, All-Star may have hit on something. If by chance this sign is no longer lighted, or was never lighted in the first place....Home Depot and Lowes, among others, sell a corrugated plastic or fiberglass roofing or siding material in sheets that would work. I've seen it in white, green, and even clear. It also comes in galvanized metal, if that's an option.

I guess it depends on how you're going to use it. If it's for the particular sign you sent the pic of, you're going to have to get the V3 or similar, unless it's no longer lited.

G-Artist

Before buying non-sign specific supplies, be sure to check the thickness. Shame to buy it, fabricate and then find it will not fit in the cabinet.