• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is this ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm quoting some signs for a customer on their new location and the sign below is the sign for the building owner itself. They would like me to match it.
pina sample.jpg
The background is 1/2" black PVC with .040 aluminum [gold mirror] sheet on top and then a layer of this marbleized vinyl on the very top. We have some marble-type vinyls on our shelves, but it's all interior vinyl. I can't find any where it's designated for outdoor use.... at least to last for any length of time outside. Also, it appears to have a break in the vinyl between two words. There's no reason for that which brings me to the conclusion this stuff is only available in 15". This sign is 24" x 20".

Does anyone have any ideas on this stuff ??

Actually, I'm not bidding this job..... we already have it, they just need to know how much it's going to cost to cut a deposit check. It's a lawyer firm and they open two or three branches a year. They are everywhere from the Philly area up to Allentown and down to the Maryland border. We do all of their signs and we just did a store front in Allentown and spent some time with fenris while doing that location for them.
:wink: Another thing about this sign..... without googling, does anyone know what the first two words mean on this sign ??​

Billct2

Well I know that Crispus was the black man killed in the Boston Massacre.
The material not so much.

TheSellOut

Avery use to have a few colors of imitation marble vinyl for exterior use but they discontinued that a few years back. As far as the name goes...it's a person's name I remember from a history class but I can't remember who he was...

Billct2

It was Spartan "Renaissance" series and the old chart I have doesn't have that particular color. It is rated 2-3 years outdoors. I think printing it is probably the best option.

Malkin

I am sure the gap was due to shrinkage since the vinyl was likely not for long term outdoor use, and they didn't overlap properly either.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to print because I want it to last more than a few years. I think this is facing southwest. Even with lamination, it needs to last more than 4 or 5 years.

I might just get out the old feathers and do some faux painting. I hate working, though.​

Thanks so far for your answers...... on the vinyl.

By the way.... he was the first Black man killed in the Revolutionary War for our side at the Boston Massacre.​

GoodPeopleFlags

That looks exactly like some old Sparcal marbled stuff Billct2 mentioned. I'd swear that was it. That being said, hasn't Sparcal been out of biz for a long time? I know I used to have some on the shelf about 10 years ago. Used it for a job and it literally just fell off the sign. And I'd had it for a couple of years at that point. I doubt you'll be able to find any, and if you do, it probably won't be any good anymore. Hopefully you can find something similar.

Si Allen

Be up front with the client ... tell him that purple is no longer available in exterior. But ... first, find something similar ... they just might be happy with it!.

AUTO-FX

By the way.... he was the first Black man killed in the Revolutionary War for our side at the Boston Massacre. [/INDENT]
See, ya learned something today, Gino. Hey - were there any black men killed for their side?

I think i would just print it Gino - it will last as long as that dumb gold mirror stuff. Or are you going to use signgold?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, it's not purple, but I was on the shady part this morning and the blues took over. It's actually a deep maroon marble look, but I get your drift, Si.

I already told them that I didn't think it was going to be possible and that whomever did that original sign for the building owner didn't do them any favors. They insisted it look as much like the other sign, but said they understood if I couldn't get it and indicated that they'd probably be Okay with plain maroon. Maroon and gold are their colors, but the marble thing is just a catchy look.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The gold is mirror aluminum. That should last a long time. I've used that on lotsa jobs.

The sign is three layers:

1. The back is 1/2" black PVC
  2. The gold is .040 or .050 aluminum, cut to match the original shape.
  3. The top or final layer is vinyl in a reverse weed so the gold shows through.

We've done similar projects, but never exterior jobs with interior products.

Don't you just love it when someone wants something copied and you have to be the bearer of bad news that the first shop did a no/no.... and a big no/no ?? :frustrated:

Pat Whatley

Not sure this will be much help, it would require changing how the sign is done and I don't know if you're doing enough of them to justify buying a full sheet of material BUT...
polymetal is available in a red/burgandy marbleized finish.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's gonna be around 3' x 3' for the lawyer's sign. What do you think a sheet would cost ??

I can talk these guys into anything.... within reason.

Pat Whatley

Alumapanel has it for $100 per sheet, they'll also cut it down and ship it for you if you can't find it closer. You'd probably still come out better doing it by hand if you're only doing one.