• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is too much to spend on a used 1604

lesliew

Hi

I know this might be a bit contentious but is $9500.00 too much to pay for a 1604 (2007). That does seems to be around the going rate for a used machine but would I be buying a bag of hurt. If a seller tells me their upgrading a 1604 to a 1638 can I really believe their going to put another $12,000 into a new machine if the 1604 is really printing fine. I really have no idea how well the machine has been looked after.

I'm very technical but at the same time don't want to pump another 2 to 3,000 into the machine soon after buying.

Immediate alternative is to buy a new 1204 and just accept the size limitations.

BTW, been printing posters and banners for many years but our machine has recently died so need to replace it immediately. $10K is all the cash I have to spend so thats my limit.

Thoughts

ProWraps

2007 model would be considered used up twice over in my books. 3 years for a digi printer is pretty much what you expect to get out of it if you are pushing it hard like a normal shop. i would EXPECT to incur more cost on it.

tomence

If you have $10K to spend on a used printer, why don't you put that money as a down payment and get a brand new printer. For $15K-$16K you can get brand new Roland RE-640 which comes with 2 year warranty or a Mimaki JV33.

Graphics2u

I think you should start checking around on new ones. I'm not going to give prices, because I can't verify what I was told, but a rep told me last week what a new 1624 could be bought for and I about fainted. So don't look at the list price and get turned off without investigating all the options.

That seems a little high for the one you're looking at.

Robert M

Used equipment

We have a Epson GS6000 (made by mutoh) for sale at 7500.00 (comes with 2k in inks)
We are picking up a 1614 today from a shop closing, I should have a peice on Monday if you are interested send me a pm. I think 9500.00 is too much for a 2007 printer

lesliew

Thanks Guys

Your advice is very much appreciated, I guess the consensus is $10k is way too much to pay for a used 1604.

I'm going to try following up on a few of the suggestions posted here and try to give you some feedback on what I decided to do in a week or so.

lesliew

Budget on this wide-format machine was always going to be a problem for me since we're really an offset print shop who print signs and banners as an additional service. Having just said that I did go a little over my $10K budget in the end and decided to buy a new machine.

I had a good look at a few of the machines that others mentioned here and found the best deal on a new (in box not demo or recon) Epson GS6000 for $13K including shipping to my store. I understand the GS6000 is just about to be EOL'ed hence why I got the deal but since I almost considered buying a 5 year old machine for 10K this seems like a good option. For me at least.

The Epson's is in transit at the moment and I should be taking delivery of it on Tuesday.