• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is wrong with this Gerber printhead?

Gaugeco Inc.

The bottom edge print in the photo was printed on a edge 2 and has a normal print. The top print was printed on a different edge 2 and is not 100% solid. I used the same vinyl, same foil and with low and high heat settings with the exact same result. Any thoughts to the 10 or so edge users on here?

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_104808.jpg
    IMG_20200620_104808.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 363

citysignshop

The bottom edge print in the photo was printed on a edge 2 and has a normal print. The top print was printed on a different edge 2 and is not 100% solid. I used the same vinyl, same foil and with low and high heat settings with the exact same result. Any thoughts to the 10 or so edge users on here?
ah funfunfunfun troubleshooting....ok, admitting I haven't used an edge for the last 12 years, but did use it daily for 4 years. If I saw this, I'd try running the vinyl thru machine #1 again. The same roll may not be consistent for all 50 yds. Try wiping the surface with isopropyl, and see if that mottled pattern remains in Machine #2. I've seen vinyl that was rolled too 'hot' at the factory, and the paper backing leaves an imprint, or contaminates the surface. More obvious on a dark colour, but now you're printing that, and it shows up.
good luck!

Gaugeco Inc.

Yeah I had checked all of that. I even went as far as printing a bad print over the top of the good print as seen in the picture. I believe it is the printhead pressure because one side prints a little darker then the other side, does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_170126.jpg
    IMG_20200623_170126.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 196

jfiscus

Rap Master
I don't know what is wrong with it, but something definitely is. Haven't seen that issue before, but it looks like a bad printhead or some other electrical issue. Does it print all solid colors that way?

FunkotronXL

Looks like an energy transfer issue. Could be too much, could be not enough; tough to tell without further testing on different materials. Have you tried different material settings to "trick" the machine into giving a bit more oomph?

LexEdge or 280 are decent starts; cranking the heat using other material settings may open up some other issues if you're doing dimensionally large prints.

Looks like the your print head is misaligned, or it has a compromised print head data cable.

To verify mis alignment I would run the Edges on board print test that has 70 % it its displayed title

The Edge will print a block of dense dots (rather than a solid block)

if one edge print is crisp dots and then the dots fade to ugly, this your problem

IF it fades to ugly.....

and you are cifident in your abilities....

unplug the edge from the wall (safety)

with a 2.5mm allan wrench take off the plastic hood (4 bolts)

then open the top and just loosen (do not remove) the 4, 3mm, shcs screws on the right side (2 on top-2 on the bottom), that are locked in place with maroon gliptol paint

once they are ALL loose, pull (or push) the ONLY the bad area of the print head assembly (top or bottom), NO MORE than a 1/2 using the 3mm allan wrench either clockwise or counter clockwise (you make a guess-there is a tool, but we dont have one now and remember which way you turn it) then tighten the 4 red screws back down again and run the 70% test again. if it got better... You went the correct way.

If your dots get worse you went the wrong way. In this case loosen ALL 4 screws. then correct your wrong way, half turn., and add another half turn for the adjustment.

slowly make the adjustments this way until the dots are crisp and consistent.