• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is your black?

What is your black

• Total voters

MatthewTimothy

Was curious to know how you guys print your blacks??

Registration black?
CMYK Black?
100% Black??

Also wouldnt mind knowing how some of you make flat black in Illustrator.

Terremoto

Simplest thing to do is work in RGB and let your RIP handle the details. Every RIP I've ever used prefers RGB files. Working in CMYK over complicates everything and generally results in substandard output. RGB is what you want to work in.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
RGB 0,0,0 - Cannot vote since that is not an option. Most do print RGB files right? It's a much wider gamut, smaller file size, etc.... of course Pantone colors are also fine in vector files. I guess I shoudl not that for non-digital printing like offset it is a totally different world where CMYK does matter in which case I do use 30 30 30 100 in cases where I am having to use CMYK black to send to some print process that requires it to be a CMYK value.

MatthewTimothy

Simplest thing to do is work in RGB and let your RIP handle the details. Every RIP I've ever used prefers RGB files. Working in CMYK over complicates everything and generally results in substandard output. RGB is what you want to work in.

ill tell the print shop that when i hand them a file for plating :ROFLMAO:

ucmj22

it really depends on the job. most of the time i just run it as 100K, but if I have a picky client, I make it 65 65 65 100

Border

I'm a 50 50 50 100 kinda guy, myself. Sounds like I am right in the middle of most others.
Does that make me an average guy?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i was a 65 65 65 100 guy, now i'm a 0 0 0 100 guy...

the HP latex with flexi rip send too much ink if i don't use straight 0 0 0 100. and it looks as black as the night....

petesign

This is very interesting, and don't know why I never thought to mention it here. I have noticed that when I print black it takes forever to dry (or on paper it never seems to dry), I have always let the RIP determine what black was, and sample the color picker to RGB 0,0,0 which is c-75, m-68, y-67, k-90. Perhaps this is my issue.

For me, printing on banners every color but black is very colorfast, but black is easy to scratch - i can leave a fingerprint in black prints half an hour after they print... every other color seems dry almost instantly... As of late, I have been backing off on ink saturation if i know there's a lot of dark areas to compensate and it seems to work okay. Perhaps I should try some of these combinations instead. I also work in a CMYK colorspace, not RGB.

J Hill Designs

I haven't looked much into it, but when I use RGB 0,0,0 black my RIP renders it as an extremely ugly 47,52,63,55 or some-odd dirty black

10sacer

Depends on your inkset and your max density desired. If you print too rich of a black with alot of flatbeds - you will get a thermographic feel to the ink.

Some inks print grays cleaner than others. Mine tend to lean to the yellow side, so i use 50, 40, 20, 100 for my blacks.

Debating whether to work in RGB, LAB or CMYk is a whole other discussion