• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is your black?

What is your black

• Total voters

niksagkram

FYI. Just did a quick print of all the CMYK blacks mentioned above, on my Roland, and, without getting a magnifier out, I can see no apparant differences. However, the 0,0,0,100 does look a little "weak".

Mark

Tim Aucoin

CMYK for full color print and for print on my HP L25500.

100% Black when I'm sending a print job to press with spot colors.

Terremoto

ill tell the print shop that when i hand them a file for plating :ROFLMAO:

This being a sign forum I guess I just assumed your were outputting this to a wide format digital printer. Didn't see any mention of the output being sent off to some printer.

The trouble with CMYK is that it's NOT any kind of standard at all. Roland's yellow could be entirely different than Mimaki's or Xerox or whoever.

If you work in any kind of ICC compliant workflow outputting to wide format digital printers then working in RGB is what you want to do. Proper color management also requires that the settings in your RIP are compatible with the color management settings in your design software.

You can get off the floor now.

Dan

Terremoto

Yup, yup...

If you work in RGB, then you are setting yourself up for some surprise colour shifts when that nice bright orange, green or blue comes out muddy-looking...

If you're working with an ICC compliant workflow and you're equipment has been properly linearized then RGB is what you want to work in. Let the RIP handle the details - that's what it was designed to do.

Working in CMYK means you'll need to print out a color chart for all your output equipment and then constantly tweak your CMYK mixes to get the colors you want. That's NOT what "Color Management" is all about. Color Management is all about working with ICC profiles and preferably using profiles generated with a spectrophotometer. Anything else is nothing more than a duct tape and haywire work-a-round.

Although the following link is CorelDraw specific the information is equally relevant for other design software. Well worth a read or two until you understand it completely.

Click on the "Color Management guide (PDF)" link:

http://coreldraw.com/wikis/howto/designer-s-guide-to-color-management.aspx

Dan

Colin

My black? Roland BK22A. Or sometimes just K=100

For those using various numbers for CMY + 100 for K, isn't there some "rule" that suggests that the total number for any CMYK combo not exceed a certain number? I have that a vague factoid about that stuck in my head from way back, but I could be thinking about something else.

Nishan

CMYK is not colour

The question asked was how does everyone prints black. And I am sure most out here already know this, but for the benefit of those that do not... here goes.

Since there are so many different combinations of CMYK that have posted to create black it is obvious that CMYK is not colour - colour should be defined by a unique number, and that's the LAB value.

So when using a good profile to print , that profile will take all the lab values and map it to the correct amounts of cmyk inks to be used.

So even if u use one of the combinations of CMYK values suggested , it will still not get you better results. A GOOD profile and regular LINEARIZATION on your equipment is the BEST solution for predictable and consistant colour.

Lastly - colour spaces, try this simple exercise in core/Photoshop etc. Punch in any cmyk value as suggested, defining your colour work space to say uswebcoated, then get the LAB value of this 'black. Then change the work space to say - isocoated, and then get the lab value of this 'black - see the difference.... so even when u send artwork out with 100% black or combinations of CMYK - not respecting colour spaces will give you different results.

Nishan

CMYK is not colour

The question asked was how does everyone prints black. And I am sure most out here already know this, but for the benefit of those that do not... here goes.

Since there are so many different combinations of CMYK that have posted to create black it is obvious that CMYK is not colour - colour should be defined by a unique number, and that's the LAB value.

So when using a good profile to print , that profile will take all the lab values and map it to the correct amounts of cmyk inks to be used.

So even if u use one of the combinations of CMYK values suggested , it will still not get you better results. A GOOD profile and regular LINEARIZATION on your equipment is the BEST solution for predictable and consistant colour.

Lastly - colour spaces, try this simple exercise in core/Photoshop etc. Punch in any cmyk value as suggested, defining your colour work space to say uswebcoated, then get the LAB value of this 'black. Then change the work space to say - isocoated, and then get the lab value of this 'black - see the difference.... so even when u send artwork out with 100% black or combinations of CMYK - not respecting colour spaces will give you different results.