• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is your Definition of a Letterhead

3dsignco

It all started about 30 years ago, when a small group of apprentices in Denver got together to learn more about the craft of making signs. While the organization has grown larger than any of them could have imagined, the simple spirit behind their original needs lives on and evolves. The keystone of that spirit is exchange of information. During any given year, there is one International Meeting, several regional meetings and no telling how many small get togethers. Some don’t even use the “Letterheads” name but still carry on its spirit. While most of the trade magazines do cover events, stories, and meetings, there are several web sites and one magazine specifically dedicated to show casing and preserving that spirit.

Quote Taken from.
http://www.theletterheads.com/index.html

Now my Interpetation:

Letterhead is a discription of anyone who takes signs and the art of signmaking seriously and or wants to continue to better their skills whether it be Paint,Vinyl, Digital Printing or any other media.

Richard Flint

Now my Interpetation:

Letterhead is a discription of anyone who takes signs and the art of signmaking seriously and or wants to continue to better their skills whether it be Paint,Vinyl, Digital Printing or any other media.

Yes........very well said!

:thumb:

Jillbeans

A Letterhead is someone who cares about the look and quality of the signs or vehicle lettering they produce, who is willing to keep on learning new techniques to improve their products, and who tries to pass those same skills on to and to educate newcomers. They sometimes go to meets to pick up new tricks or share fellowship with their brothers and sisters of the brush. Some carve, some gild, some sandblast, some airbrush or pinstripe, some bend neon, some hand-letter, and some make vinyl lettering or digital prints.

On the other hand, there are people who buy a machine and produce garbage with it, who know nothing of design or pricing, and see our craft as just a money making game or a contest of who can put the most special effects on a bad layout and call it cool. Some of these folks even paint lousy-looking signs real cheap. These are NOT Letterheads. The main identifying factor is that they really don't care about what they produce.

:)
Love....Jill

Richard Flint

On the other hand, there are people who buy a machine and produce garbage with it, who know nothing of design or pricing, and see our craft as just a money making game or a contest of who can put the most special effects on a bad layout and call it cool. Some of these folks even paint lousy-looking signs real cheap. These are NOT Letterheads. The main identifying factor is that they really don't care about what they produce.

This unfortunatly...........is also true!

:cool:

Replicator

I must be a letterhead and didn't even know it
ff83e32.gif

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A letterhead, pinhead, motorhead, pothead, shit head… and other heads out there, but we’ll keep this the PG version for the moment…. are just people that are really into their ‘thing’.

No matter what bills are being paid, no matter what the end user wants or is willing to pay…. these people are all willing to go to great lengths to keep it pure and the way GOD wanted things.

A true letterhead will not do it for the money unless you do it RIGHT…. otherwise he’ll walk away laughing. The motorhead that tells you, that you can’t change the engine out for a small block because of specific reasons will do it, if you insist, but the car probably won’t perform as if he had picked all the correct components for the new home of the engine and had put his whole self into the changeover. Pinheads will laugh in your face if you mention vinyl stripes and probably throw paint buggers at you. A pothead will share with you because he knows he’ll get residuals in return…. he just knows it from a l-o-n-g developed habit; nonetheless, he still knows his weed. A shithead… well, that one needs no explaining, and most of us are good at being that one. We all have practiced long and hard for that title. Sad part is, that one can become quite convincing in a matter of minutes….. ask me how I know……

My take on a ‘Letterhead’ is really someone that still believes in doing things with his hands and really being able to get ‘into the sign’…. almost becoming part of it. When that sign leaves the shop, a part of ‘you’ goes with it. You lived the sign the whole time it went through your shop, no matter how big or small your place is…. you’re in that sign. You breathed the colors right into the grain. You knew the outcome before it was finalized for the customers proofing. You also probably spent more time on it than you had figured, but that part doesn’t really matter. Now, that sometimes means working with carving tools, paint brushes, silk screens, charcoal, pencils, speedball pens, airbrush, neon or electrodes, but a purist is really talking about the one that does it all by hand without modern contraptions. Those people are true artists…. starving sometimes, but at peace with themselves for delivering a perfect product. You generally don’t see many hacks in that pure of an artist.

Regardless of what you’re an enthusiast in [cars, painting, building model airplanes, striping, dancing, singing and playing an instrument or teaching the basics]… there is no disgrace in doing it your way, but cutting corners just is not in their vocabulary.

My take on a Letterhead…….
Gino