Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of glue/adhesive do I need

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by ChaseO, Sep 2, 2020.

1. ChaseO

ChaseO Premium Subscriber

May 3, 2012
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for gluing pads (such as the ones Gemini uses) to the back of ACM for exterior use? I have used Gorilla in the past and scuffed the backside of the panel first with some luck, but I know there is a better adhesive out there.

Tags:
  2. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Usually clear silicone works (NOT Silicone II, the regular Silicone I adhesive).

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Two part epoxies like Lords or ASI, JB weld will do, it's just expensive if you have a lot to glue.
    Clear silicone works, but depending on the size of the letters, I'd want something more permanent. If it's 18" dibond letters, silicone would work well. 4' letters, there had better be about 10 pads, where if I was doing it with Lords, I'd get away with 6.

4. karst41

karst41 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Stone Mountain, GA
    If small ACM, Liquid Nails PRO is favored by a bunch of my clients.

At 8" x 24 " I tell them to use fasteners. They still prefer LNP up to 18"x20".

5. John Miller

John Miller Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Branford, Connecticut
    Weld-On 45 is what we use. It is specifically designed to bond pre-finished aluminum and acrylic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Boss brought back a roll of ... 3M? Red roll of grey tape, man that stuff is permanent. We spread a little backer paper, throw down a couple lines of this tape on top of it, and cut it into sizes we need. It comes easy off the backer once we've cut it. We use a lot of Lord's adhesive for bigger outdoor things, but that tape is monstrously strong. ...

7. Steenland

Steenland Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Sounds like 3M VHB tape. (VHB = Very High Bonding I think.) Comes in a variety of types and thicknesses depending on your application. And yes, it is monstrously strong!
    www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/applications/signage/

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Do watch out when combing this with silicone. We've had installers coat the tape because they put too much silicone down, and the tape only adhered enough to stay up over night. When I went to inspect it, the tape had no tack left, but a very fine coat of silicone over it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    agreed, do want to be careful about the adhesives touching.

LEXEL is another adhesive option to use

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ChaseO

ChaseO Premium Subscriber

May 3, 2012
    Thanks for the responses guys and gals. I picked up some weld-on 45 for this particular job, and I bet it is what I had in mind, just didn't know what it was called. I am familiar with VHB and Orafol's UHB tapes, but I tend to get lost in the numbers/descriptions of it.