• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of glue/adhesive do I need

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for gluing pads (such as the ones Gemini uses) to the back of ACM for exterior use? I have used Gorilla in the past and scuffed the backside of the panel first with some luck, but I know there is a better adhesive out there.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Usually clear silicone works (NOT Silicone II, the regular Silicone I adhesive).

karst41

If small ACM, Liquid Nails PRO is favored by a bunch of my clients.

At 8" x 24 " I tell them to use fasteners. They still prefer LNP up to 18"x20".

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Boss brought back a roll of ... 3M? Red roll of grey tape, man that stuff is permanent. We spread a little backer paper, throw down a couple lines of this tape on top of it, and cut it into sizes we need. It comes easy off the backer once we've cut it. We use a lot of Lord's adhesive for bigger outdoor things, but that tape is monstrously strong. ...

Steenland

Old Member
Boss brought back a roll of ... 3M? Red roll of grey tape, man that stuff is permanent. We spread a little backer paper, throw down a couple lines of this tape on top of it, and cut it into sizes we need. It comes easy off the backer once we've cut it. We use a lot of Lord's adhesive for bigger outdoor things, but that tape is monstrously strong. ...
Sounds like 3M VHB tape. (VHB = Very High Bonding I think.) Comes in a variety of types and thicknesses depending on your application. And yes, it is monstrously strong!
www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/applications/signage/

2B

Do watch out when combing this with silicone. We've had installers coat the tape because they put too much silicone down, and the tape only adhered enough to stay up over night. When I went to inspect it, the tape had no tack left, but a very fine coat of silicone over it.

agreed, do want to be careful about the adhesives touching.

LEXEL is another adhesive option to use

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses guys and gals. I picked up some weld-on 45 for this particular job, and I bet it is what I had in mind, just didn't know what it was called. I am familiar with VHB and Orafol's UHB tapes, but I tend to get lost in the numbers/descriptions of it.