• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of grease on Carriage bearings?

Graphics2u

What kind of grease do you use on the bearing raceways? Will Lithium Grease be alright? I know it doesn't take very much at all.

Slack11

I used lithium grease last nite, and it worked fine. You're right the very little you use I figured Lithium would be allright.

Checkers

Check with the manufacturer.

With some machines, oiling the bushings may do more harm than good.

Checkers

Graphics2u

Mutoh sells their own grease for it, but it can't be anything special.

Is 3-1 able to stay on the rails with out dripping off?

poslive

I tried lithium grease on my Toucan LT raceways and it dried and left chunks of crud behind. I've since switched to silicon; just spray some on a foam swab and wipe down the track.

John Butto

Ace Plumber's gease

in a small tube at Ace Hardware, for bearings and sliding surfaces, resist temperatures, works great on the 1204

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
What kind of grease do you use on the bearing raceways? Will Lithium Grease be alright? I know it doesn't take very much at all.

When you say raceway do you mean the inner and/or outer bearing race, the cylinders between which the actual bearings ride, or do you mean the ways upon which the outer race of the bearing travels?

If the former, a wee bit of silicone or 3-in-1 oil assuming the bearings are not sealed.

If the latter, do nothing but clean the ways. There is little or no friction on a roller riding a way and lubrication does little but make a mess. Just make sure that the ways and the outer races of the bearings are always clean.