• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of tape would work best?

phototec

Other than knifeless tape, what is the best tape to use under the edge of a wrap when cutting to match a contour so you don't cut into the vehicle paint?

I'm thinking I read some where that someone used tape over the paint (under the vinyl) prior to cutting the vinyl wrap around the contours of the vehicle, then pulled out the tape before sealing the edges of the wrap.

The new Jeep doors have a bevel around the windows and it's common practice to trim the vehicle wrap back away from the edge of the window (see photo below) about 3/4", I can trim by hand to match the contour, I just need to protect the paint from knife cuts.

What kind of tape would work best?

Attachments

• Jeep window reveal setback.jpg
    Jeep window reveal setback.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 164

worthy1

Masking/painters tape is your friend! We use it all the time, its that added bit of insurance.

The blue tape from 3M is great but expensive.

phototec

Masking/painters tape is your friend! We use it all the time, its that added bit of insurance.

The blue tape from 3M is great but expensive.

Ok, thanks ---- I attended the Mutoh school of wraps with Justin Pate back in 2010, and I remember he mentioned that he used some kind of tape he applied to the painted surface of high end cars so when he made the body contour cut with a real sharp blade he would NOT cut into the paint below. Then he would pull out the small strip of tape under the wrap before burnishing down the edge of the wrap down.

I was thinking he used that thick package sealing tape that had the filaments in it, but maybe it was just masking tape, I just didn't remember and thought I would ask the question here to see what tape others are using in this application.

Thanks for your input....

worthy1

No worries. The idea behind it is it is low tack so easily removed. The 3M blue removes a bit easier and has a bit more of a glossy surface to not affect the adhesive of the vinyl. The lower quality ones can leave residue behind so prob best for the blue if u are going to press it down after.

Also be careful with the 'NOT cut the paint' statement. Yes its good insurance and takes a lot to cut through it but if you cut hard enough it will still go through. You want to always exercise scoring the vinyl, it just adds that extra buffer.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
3M 471 Blue Striping Plastic Tape, or the 218 Fine Line. Fellers carries them both, I'm sure others do too.

I don't understand why you would cut it there and not wrap it all the way to the window seals. The only time I have seen it done that way is for precut kits that are sold online. This way the customer doesn't have to try and get it perfect and do the cuts. We have always just wrapped them to the seal. Just my opinion though.