Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help What kind of Vinyl is used for Sandblasting.

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by Justin Young, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Justin Young

Justin Young New Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Kinston
    I am looking to get into sand carving. I want to know what brand can we get to cut on a simple vinyl cutter?

2. I-try

I-try A Fellow Sign Guy!

Jan 30, 2018
    Des moines
    I used this stuff once... matter of fact I think I still have it from a couple years ago...

https://www.uscutter.com/Hartco-425-Series-High-Grip-Sandblast-Mask-Stencil

From what I heard it held up ok. Only good for one go-around though. The mil thickness is up there a bit so obviously test before you cut.

3. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Sandblasted is pretty thick. It's more like a foam/elastic material than a vinyl.

If by simple vinyl cutter you mean a cricut or Chinese cutter... It.may not be possible. I'd buy a yard.or two before committing to a roll to see your results.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jester1167

Jester1167 Very Active Member

Used a lot of Hartco 425. Make sure you get the versions with paper liner if you want to plotter cut it. The plastic liner allows it to stretch and warp, in other words it doesn't seem to cut well on a plotter. If you're sandblasting sign foam get the highest tack and blow off the dust first for best adhesion. even then i use a stapler and staple the small pieces on. If the mask is narrower than the staple you can clean off the area where the staple when beyond the mask easily after it's blasted.

We never took the time to prime it first because we never had time or available space to wait for it to fully cure and then re-prime the freshly blasted areas.

On really large signs we would lay the mask down and use spray adhesive to secure a pen plot and then hand cut the stencil. At times this is easier than trying to line up 2 separate masks. for smaller detailed areas on signs like this, we would plotter cut certain components and lay them in later. The trees were plotter cut and the rest was typically hand cut depending on the overall size.

We also used to weed the graphic on the sign if i remember correctly, and we never cut the signs to shape until after they were blasted. That way the corners don't get dinged up at the blaster or during transportation.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. mfatty500

mfatty500 Active Member

May 10, 2010
    Sugar Grove, Ill
    I have used Hartco for making rhinestone designs, cutting with my Graphtec, making 2 passes

6. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    For glass etching Avery paint mask works fine. I’ve etched lots of glass with it. If you’re going to be sand carving fairly deeply you might need to go to regular sand blast resist. I prefer Anchor. Hartford was always too stiff in my opinion.