• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of Vinyl Should I Use?

jmmccann

I've been asked to do vinyl lettering around some recycling and garbage cans to indicate what item goes in which can (ie. bottles/paper/waste etc). There's 5 in total and since this is a well established national chain, the vinyl will need to stand up to daily abuse from people throwing wet garbage or from employees wiping them clean as well as getting bashed around a little when changing the bags. Since the cans taper at the top, I'm thinking of installing the vinyl in a circle surrounding the hole. Can anyone suggest what kind of vinyl I should use? I'm familiar with FDC so I was thinking of using their cast vinyl (9 year outdoor durability). Is this overkill? Any suggestions would be great...I'm just getting into this and love learning from everyone here.

Thanks.

Jeff.

jfiscus

Rap Master
What material are the garbage cans? Some of these require more aggressive adhesive vinyls due to the surface.

2B

Who is doing the installation? a circle can be tricky to install.

being a trash can people will not be gentle and you will need a good THICK lamination to take the abuse

jmmccann

I do not have a laminator. Is this essential, or can I get away with a very agressive adhesive? The garbage cans are painted metal.I should also mention they are very smooth, not corrugated metal like an outdoor can. These will also be inside, never outdoors.

Last edited:

jmmccann

Also, the cans are painted, so anything I put on shouldn't be so well adhered that it takes the paint off when removing.

visual800

just use oracal 651 or some other intermediate vinyl. I dont see any sense in busting out the expensive stuff for this, its uncalled for. Its inside they are going to get some abuse that should not be your concern

when you do van lettering do you get concerned about what low branches they run into? no. Dont overthink a project like this