• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of Work Truck do you have?

fresh

Our E250 Cargo Van hasn't been working well for a LONG time. Apparently our mechanic just dealt with whatever code popped up, and didn't actually look at what the problem(s) were. I'm kinda annoyed by that, but I'll get over it.

We finally took it to a Ford dealership for an estimate, and its time for a new truck! What are you driving these days, and what do you love/hate about it.

Its our only shop vehicle, so it has to be able to transport a 10ft long piece of material. I'd love a pickup truck, but I don't think it will be as versatile as a van. Current van is 13 years old, and honestly, replacing it right now wasn't on my radar. So I need some help.

d fleming

gmc sierra 1500 and f600 bucket truck. If I need to transport over size items ( often) I use a trailer. Although I am about to let the bucket go and just rent a pull behind from time to time if needed and save some dough.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Look into a Ford 350 series which is extended. Yu can fit almost 13' to the back of the seats and up through the middle you can go about 16'. Our bucket just barely fits 10' pieces, but it always acrylic or poly so its bendy and we MAKE it fit.

fresh

150 and tundra for pickups. altec on a 5500 ram and 750 bucket. 2 20' flat trailers, one with and one without rails, 12' trailer with ram, 20' trailer with ramp (for the tractor and the boss's bad boy, respectively). I think trucks and trailers are the way to go for my work, usually outdoor cabinets and oversized faces. It depends on what you're trying to haul most of the time.
Never underestimate what you can do with straps and a standard pickup bed. I've hauled stuff nearly 2x the length of my bed at times (Not counting the tailgate, just bed length, gotta be on the right side of leverage...)
Thanks, I should mention we never install anything that big. One time we had a monument sign that didn't fit in our van, and I borrowed my brother's large pickup. We don't do many extra-large signs, nor do I want to do them.

Billct2

4x4 Extended Cab Pickup with 8' bed, top side tool boxes & full steel ladder rack. This has been our setup for 20+ years.
Fits just about everything and we can tow anything we rent. We've also usually had a older mini van or suv for an extra vehicle

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Even an import truck with a cab over rack can haul long materials. Our 92 Toyota is on it's second set of last legs but we regularly move 16'-20' material & signs on the rack. Also made a box we can throw up on top for materials we want to keep dry on the road. Built the rack out of 2 galvanized square tube - when the truck was new.
Set it up so it is easy to remove when I need more height and less width. We also have F150 regular bed with an aluminum rack to pull stuff & take over for the 92.
Utility boxes are nice for tools and gear with a little less room for signs. Might want to look into a new or used flatbed.
We just installed a lift gate on a new 8'x12' F350 set up to haul LPG cylinders. Customer spec'd out exactly what he needed & got it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Get a service body... It upped my game tremendously. I just sold my old one and replaced it with a new one last week.

20191020_180548.jpg
20191020_180457.jpg
20191020_180407.jpg
20191020_180350.jpg

RPM

Just run around in a Chevy 2500 High Country and have a 12ft enclosed trailer. Built and kitted it to carry all tools and equipment needed for off site installs and gets parked as a billboard when not in use.

fresh

These are all great ideas and I actually now have some time to think about it... My neighbor has a van that needs about $1500 worth of work and is going to sell it to us for $300. So we're just going to take that for the time being. I really don't like making these expensive decisions at the drop of a penny.

We were looking briefly at bucket trucks last month, but we haven't had time to really research them because we've been so busy. Hopefully we'll have time in the next few weeks to think about it.

fresh

On his first picture, you can see a trailer. I would imagine that's where, unless they're small and fit in the back.
Ah. that makes sense. It seems like a lot of extra work to hook up a trailer and tie everything down when we're used to just throwing it in the van and going.

our businesses are all so different, its eye-opening when you think about what each of our day to day projects generally look like.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
These are all great ideas and I actually now have some time to think about it... My neighbor has a van that needs about $1500 worth of work and is going to sell it to us for $300. So we're just going to take that for the time being. I really don't like making these expensive decisions at the drop of a penny.

We were looking briefly at bucket trucks last month, but we haven't had time to really research them because we've been so busy. Hopefully we'll have time in the next few weeks to think about it.

You'd be surprised how many NEW doors it would open having a bucket truck in your fleet/possession. You'll actually take on jobs, you might've passed on before because of the hassle. I'll bet our bucket goes out at least twice a week. That's a lotta jobs turned that have now become customers on other levels, too. You can now change out lights in parking lots, put up decorations in parking lots, do things for many other sign shops in the area, as long as you don't try to steal their customers.

Not to mention...... you'll be the hit of the neighborhood at home. :supersmilie:

Last edited:

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
GMC 2500 4x4 4 door P/U with Pronghorn Utility Bed with Removeable Ladder Rack Option. 3000watt Power Invertor Installed inside utlilty bed with Outdoor Receptacle on rear of truck. Had it about a year. It's very handy

Attachments

• IMG_8012.jpg
    IMG_8012.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_8013.JPG
    IMG_8013.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 186

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ah. that makes sense. It seems like a lot of extra work to hook up a trailer and tie everything down when we're used to just throwing it in the van and going.

our businesses are all so different, its eye-opening when you think about what each of our day to day projects generally look like.

The bed is 4'x8' so 90% of the time everything fits in there, 4x10's just hang out the tailgate and even rolled polly fits. Anything larger I throw on the trailer... takes all of 3 minutes to connect it. I just toss my 4x8s in the bed, throw a 8' ladder on top of them to hold em down and I'm off to the races.