• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of work vehicle do you use?

SignTeam.us

We have two vehicles, a Ford Transit we can stand 4'x8' up against side wall and all your stuff is inside and don´t have to worry about weather and an electric vehicle Volt for smaller deliveries up to 3'x5'
Sign-Team-vehicles-2.jpg

equippaint

We have a utility body truck on a 3/4 ton for doing mobile sandblasting work, it works great. Id go this route for signs also. A sheet of plywood would fit in the bed laying flat too. The only way that I would want a van is a promaster with the tall roof, being hunched over digging around for stuff isnt fun. Not to mention a cargo van is like driving a loosely put together steel cave.
You can get utility bodies with covers over the cargo portion that allow enough room to stand. All of your tools and supplies are on the side and easy to get to. With the side doors over the wheel open, you have a nice shelf to use also. I think the ideal setup is a smaller box truck with the tool boxes that are accessible from the outside. Like a hybrid utility and box truck combo.
Does anyone have issues with insuring a bucket truck? They give us grief over ladders.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Just got a used Verizon bucket truck late last year. Had a bucket van before that, but it was quite dated, and needed the upgrade. We do lots of sign boxes and neon work so the bucket is necessary.

GB2

Old Member
I'm actually in the middle of trying to decide our next vehicle direction too, so the timing of this question is great! Presently we have an E2500 Ford Van with a flatbed trailer and have another Toyota Pickup truck. It's amazing how everyone has their differing opinions on trucks vs vans, etc. Personally I really don't like pickup trucks, they are terrible for carrying anything of value, it's all out in the open exposed to theft and the weather. You can't even get out to get coffee without worrying about stuff disappearing. Things are flying all around the back and out onto the road, you have to climb in the bed to get things. Sure you can get caps, racks, boxes but why....and it still doesn't solve all the problems. Vans are weather tight, secure and the new ones are very spacious and convenient. Trucks are good if you need to haul heavy trailers or you carry bulky debris or things of little value.

I would like to hear more about what is required for bucket trucks however....insurance, inspections, anything else. I think the separate towable or self-driving lifts are great, when your truck breaks down you don't lose your lift too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ours is old, but it's quite sturdy and reliable. 1989 Ford 3500. I get the hydraulics checked once a year and tags are $200 a year. Insurance is nothing at all high. For some reason, our insurance agent gave us a rate, I was not about to argue about. I questioned and told them what it is and how it's used and they wrote it up as I said. All the tools are well protected inside and I can go about 30' and with me in it about 34' if I'm going just about straight up. Usually not extended that much. The next one is a 2006 ford Diesel 3500 with a delete kit added about a year ago. Cost a little bit, but the engine is 110% sound and I like it, as it's an extended body, so I have about 14' to the back of the front seats. Never had a pick up but thought, one day I'd like to have one, so I can move manure, hay and other sh!tty stuff around or transport a refrigerator without laying it down.

shop trucls.jpg

Billct2

Wow...new? I could never buy new, it would drive me crazy worrying about the inevitable dings and scratches.

decalman

,2000 Ford Ranger with tool box and ladder rack.
I like small truck, because I like to easily wheel into parking spot.
I really enjoy this little Ranger.
FORD work truck.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Wow...new? I could never buy new, it would drive me crazy worrying about the inevitable dings and scratches.
Used. It was a 2015. New would of been 40k and I didn't want to spend that much $$. I traded in my personal car, seeing as I spent 95% of my time in the work one.

Was on an install all day today and service Body is freaking AWESOME! And the bed is a hair over 4'x8'

Dallas225

We’ve got a 2018 F150 crewcab 4x4 that we use for towing the flat deck and a towable lift and A 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan With stow and go that’s been rigged up for a full out install van - it’s legit the best setup and its killer good on fuel. The van you can fit a 4x8 in with the hatch shut if you fold the back all flat, it’s really quite versatile... and has heated seats, everyone loves that up here in Canada!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Sign

Sign Guy
I have a 2003 express van. Traded a customer for some graphics on his new vans. Can’t beat that!

Also have a 1992 GMC 3500 34’ bucket truck. Has the service body with 10ft bed. It’s an old electrician truck but only has 83,000 miles on it. The generator works and we use it 1-2 times a week. Sometimes we bring it to jobs just to use the generator. Bought it for $3200!

I Always wanted a bucket truck. I thought it was the answer to my vertical problems. Then I got one and quickly realized it wasn’t big enough. We use it but in the sign business I feel like you need a good 50’ or 60’ 2 man bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanT

Director of Entropy
I'm serious.

I get a lot of work done with this thing - I polyurethaned a few cardboard vinyl tubes to make them waterproof, graphics get slid into the tube (or straight edges, squeegees, etc) and ends capped, and the tubes are almost permanently strapped to the passenger seat in front of the tool box (took them off for some riding). Tools go in the toolbox on the back. I can park on the sidewalk downtown right in front of where I'm working or ride it up right next to whatever I'm doing. Gets 50+ mpg too, however maintenance is ...often.

uc

TopFliteGraphics

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with 6-1/2' bed and 4.7L V8. 195K miles and so far 100% trouble-free. Was thinking about replacing it with a newer model but upon further review, I think I will keep her at least another year. I have put about 40K miles on her the past year so I would like to get a newer truck since they get better mileage but the Eco-Diesel is out of my price range right now.