• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What makes your shop FUN?

MagnetStew

Since our printers are Japenese - Yoshi, Miko, Suki, Aiko and Midori.

Cutters are Swiss - Argeta and Heidi

Both Laminators are affectionetly known as "Damn It."

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Ha!

Bob, I'm rather impressed by your ability to use 5 dollar words, but you can't bring me back down to earth, because I'm higher than your average squirt since birth, and I'll flow so sick, I'll leave your lips blue, like you was eating Smurfettes poo.

I can burp a spectacular vernacular too, and have your sad clown face sad from all the boo-hoos, like you got no shoes below 32. Do you have a screw loose or mad 'cause they didn't pick you, in middle school. Here's some things that I can do better than you. Let's start with the fact I can take my shirt off at the community pool. And let's end with the mad fact that you just got bullied by someone younger and cooler than you.

Sorry for the disrespect, apologies but no regrets. Respect you as a person, but your outlook is hurtin. I'm sorry for averting from the fact you need some inserting, and some flirting with a skirt, but sounds to me like you just JERK. So convert that negative energy, into better memories because I'm starting to believe the doctor dropped you in the nursery.

*Drops mic*

I could keep going but I really need to get these printers started.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/29/entertainment/neil-degrasse-tyson-bob-flat-earth-twitter-spat/

Neil and bob?

He's Neil and you're bob though.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Little things like practical jokes are always a winner. A good one to pull on a co-worker...... when they are away from their computer go to it, and with it just showing the desktop and the desktop icons they have hit print screen. Open Photoshop new, then paste, crop to size as needed and save as a jpg in their pictures folder. Now make a new folder and drag all of their desktop icons into it. Move the folder to their C drive or wherever you can show it to them later. Right click desktop >personalize - "change desktop icons", turn off the ones they normally keep on like my computer, recycle bin, network, then set the screenshot of their desktop as their new desktop wallpaper. Then make their taskbar autohide. Voila - their desktop looks totally normal but nothing is clickable or works. Another would be to take a space wireless mouse and plus the USB receiver into their computer and randomly move it once it a while.... lol.

Other than the occasional practical joke we do use funny names on the network for the servers and computers. I also installed a Crestron (12 channel/6 zone) distributed audio system a few years back. It has 2 FM tuners, 2 media servers, an internet radio streaming card, and an XM satellite radio card. To use it I have an xPanel application configured so anyone can use it from their computer desktop. You can select which room/area of the shop you are in, the audio source you want to listen to, volume, etc. You can selectively lock and/or allow over-riding a room so its sometimes fun to see the guys out in the install bay rocking out on metal and changing their source to opera or something and locking their control out.

We also have a very open environment. No one is in a private office so communication is very easy which also promotes occasional chatter. The only time you are really separated is if you are physically in a different part of the shop like doing embroidery or out in the install bay or sitting in the kitchen or on the hopper (I did wire speakers and the audio system to the bathrooms - that might be an idea though as I really only have 4 of the 6 audio zones configured). Employees are allowed to dress how they like and they can decorate around their desk however they wish.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Little things like practical jokes are always a winner. A good one to pull on a co-worker...... when they are away from their computer go to it, and with it just showing the desktop and the desktop icons they have hit print screen. Open Photoshop new, then paste, crop to size as needed and save as a jpg in their pictures folder. Now make a new folder and drag all of their desktop icons into it. Move the folder to their C drive or wherever you can show it to them later. Right click desktop >personalize - "change desktop icons", turn off the ones they normally keep on like my computer, recycle bin, network, then set the screenshot of their desktop as their new desktop wallpaper. Then make their taskbar autohide. Voila - their desktop looks totally normal but nothing is clickable or works. Another would be to take a space wireless mouse and plus the USB receiver into their computer and randomly move it once it a while.... lol...

Cute but too much work. Better is to write a couple of lines of code that 1: displays the message "Press Any Key To Continue" then 2: when any key is pressed displays the message "Except That One".

pjfmeister

shop fun

attachment.php

Our latest fun - We got a new shop snake.....and enjoy feeding time every couple weeks comparing videos and pictures of the "event"
As you can tell from the picture he is really "cuddly"...

Attachments

• IMG_5477.jpg
    IMG_5477.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 211

Speedsterbeast

a Gretsch steel resonator guitar hangs on the wall within reach at my desk.
Echos beautifully in the shop when I need a break.
Also trying to hit the garbage from 30 feet away is always worth trying. Usually just makes a mess.
Working on this old classic, but it may be beyond my talent range.
Or I need to lock myself in the shop for 2 weeks and turn off my phone.

[video=youtube;JY__agG_eXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY__agG_eXc[/video]

BALLPARK

I'm not really sure what makes our shop fun to the majority? I know I have fun most everyday at the shop, but my idea of fun is signs. The owner is my wife and she is a giant ball of fun in the normal way.

But here are some good features for a shop that wants to relax it a bit...

Music - I really do think that at the right level and types of music it helps when work is being done. Work as in no time to chi chat while you focus on your task.

Xbox One - I don't have any games at the shop at the time. I use it as a multi entertainment system. I stream and listen to "The Office" or some other easy going comedy playing in the background while I design or create marketing campaigns. I have been thinking about adding a clean neutral game for the clients that may stop by with their kids and they allow them to play video games. Gotta get them thinking positive about us at a young age, they are the future. ;) lol...

TV's for Monitors - Bigger screen to design and modern TVs are slim and have wireless access. So, when you are not using the screen for work it can be used for other short term activities. Streaming championship games and big events during after hours events. Also used as digital media displays to showcase products to clients.

Printer Names - We enjoy naming the printers and putting a positive spin in their perception. We have Xavier for our XC-540, Victor for our Vutek, and Ulysses for US Tech laminator. We are adding a latex and heat welder shortly and working on their names. If it's cool equipment it will get a name and sometimes even a backstory. lol...

Lounge Room - Clients can use it to relax when they are picking up product and waiting for it to be loaded. Comes in handy when they come early to a meeting and your not finished up with the current meeting. The room can be used for closed conferences that will have a bit more of a relaxed feel to it. When you working late on yet another day and the last print run is starting then it comes in handy to relax a bit before you close up after the run is done.

Trash Cans For Vinyl - Who does not like to shoot a long range shot every now and then.

Fridge - Drinks for most anyone's taste. Store some cold cut meats and other types of quick food and get back to work.

We are far from rich and started with nothing. We are just starting to scratch the surface of what the future holds. But even we can afford to put a little bit extra into TV's over monitors and some small perks with multi media. I think it creates a positive work environment and that produces better attitudes and signage.

I hope to pick-up a few new features in this thread...

jmag666

Hey!

We only named one piece of quipment and thats a 2012 imac that we converted to a windows pc so we can run the rip software for our mimaki printer... The name of the computer? Abomination, ofcourse ;)

other than that...we listen to music...and like to sing with it too. Somethimes the rhytm takes over and we dance too ;) We are small company - 3 people, whowere in rock bands and now we are still much into music...so i think that comes naturaly.

MagnetStew

Every time we get a new employee we usually send them off to find the magnet stretcher, the flux capacitor and the ID10T form....always good for a laugh.

We also do this thing called "rabies" where we get into a conversation about a local rabies outbreak then someone starts acting crazy, runs over to the new person grabs their leg and pretends to bite it while making growling/rabid dog noises.....that usually freaks people out pretty good. I did it to our IT guy once and I dont think he has ever forgiven me. :Big Laugh

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Every time we get a new employee we usually send them off to find the magnet stretcher, the flux capacitor and the ID10T form....always good for a laugh.

We also do this thing called "rabies" where we get into a conversation about a local rabies outbreak then someone starts acting crazy, runs over to the new person grabs their leg and pretends to bite it while making growling/rabid dog noises.....that usually freaks people out pretty good. I did it to our IT guy once and I dont think he has ever forgiven me. :Big Laugh

Are you hiring? Lmao.

Marlene

attachment.php

Our latest fun - We got a new shop snake.....and enjoy feeding time every couple weeks comparing videos and pictures of the "event"
As you can tell from the picture he is really "cuddly"...

you might want to seek professional help as most serial killers start enjoying this kind of thing.

Brink

Hey!

We only named one piece of quipment and thats a 2012 imac that we converted to a windows pc so we can run the rip software for our mimaki printer... The name of the computer? Abomination, ofcourse ;)

other than that...we listen to music...and like to sing with it too. Somethimes the rhytm takes over and we dance too ;) We are small company - 3 people, whowere in rock bands and now we are still much into music...so i think that comes naturaly.

Any iMac no matter what it's running would be appropriately named if it were called "Abomination". Sorry but I'm PC all the way. (As is Mimaki I suppose.)

:smile:

LolaRed

I don't really post much, but this topic is on par for us. Our machines/equipment are named after characters from Battlestar Gallactica (we are sci-fi and superhero nerds around here).

Our "workhorse" Roland printer = Starbuck
Laminator = Apollo
Main server = Captain Adama
Panel Saw = Caprica (b/c she's sleek and sexy but will occasionally bite your ankles if you don't watch where you are walking)
One of our desktop printers is tricky, so he's named Gaius
And the list goes on.

We have a disco ball hanging in the workshop and white Christmas lights strung around the perimeter.

We hand out superhero stickers to kiddos. Our superheroes are staff members dressed up in capes and masks from a photo shoot we did a while back.

We have a badge that says "You're Awesome!" for the employee that did an awesome thing (or saved the day/job).

We have a quote board (only staff can see) that has funny quotes that were once said, and it's quite hilarious. It's mostly internal jokes though.

And sometimes we have a beer on a Friday afternoon after a long work week.

:)

DougWestwood

Music in the shop!

Having worked WITH music and WITHOUT music, it is absolutely in the company's best interests to have MUSIC playing in the shop. Makes up for all the boring server names, and undecorated razor knives.

- Doug
Vancouver

petesign

Having worked WITH music and WITHOUT music, it is absolutely in the company's best interests to have MUSIC playing in the shop. Makes up for all the boring server names, and undecorated razor knives.

- Doug
Vancouver

I have a small shop. Its just me a lot of the time, so lets just say its a good thing my design pc has a good graphics card. especially on long print nights when I can happily play games all night while listening to the whirring of the money making machine over in the corner.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
we have
• Satellite Radio, usually classic rock modern stuff has too much language (not customer approved)
• "Fun" customers.
• Shop dog (yorkie)
• Shop cat (fat)
• food/cake party for birthdays
• always entertaining to listen to the various employees curse at the printers
• Annual Christmas Party
• Occasional free ticket to college theatre (good customer to have)
• Occasional traffic citation in our parking lot
• Occasional snake climbing the wall right behind my monitor
• Many lizards and skinks running around.

I need to get more creative and introduce some real fun here.