Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What material for a 5'x12' sign

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Stacey K, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Hello, I have a small billboard in which a customer painted over the top of the old peeling vinyl lettering - looks horrifying. He suggested I letter over it but obviously, I'm not doing that. They rent the building so I was thinking of making a sign at the shop on Aluminum or something of the such and just centering it on the billboard. This way, if they move, they can always take the sign with them. I have two size choices, 60"x96" or 60"x144. What might you suggest for a substrate? I use a lot of 2 sided Alumalite but is there anything else anyone might suggest? Would a sheet of aluminum work or is this substrate perhaps too large for that? It's a non-profit type company so I would like to offer 2 price choices. Thank you!!

Tags:
  2. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Most billboards have banner material stretched over them, which you could sub-out if you can't print 60".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I would price out maxmetal, you can buy a 5x8 and a4x8 flip it verticle to get you total 5x12 size.

i would also price out a heavy banner just in case they are cheap

• Like Like x 1
  4. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Or just go with 3 4' x 8' sheets cut down to 4' x 5'.

Three easy to hand sheets with symmetrical seams.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    We get 5'x10' ACM all the time from Denco. Two 5'x6' panels and you've got a nice one seam look and not a terrible install for two people.

• Like Like x 1
  6. signbrad

signbrad Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    Thin gauge aluminum, such as .040", will tend to look wavy. Heavier aluminum would work.
    Or, the inexpensive brands of aluminum composite material with the solid core might be a good choice. Polymetal, Maxmetal, Bebond, etc., are all rated, I believe, as five-year materials. The more expensive brands of ACM can carry a 15-year, or more, rating, assuming you can provide graphics that will last that long.
    Regarding Alumalite, I do not like the way it dimples from screws, which gives it a cheap look. I have also seen it delaminate sooner than I would have liked.

One way to offer two prices would be to give the client two differently priced designs. Better design work should always command more money, remembering that we are not selling signs by the pound as if it were hamburger.
    A doctor once said, "You're not paying me for my time, you're paying me for what I know."
    This should also be true if you can offer superior design.

Also, "installed" versus "uninstalled" would be a way to offer two prices.

I know many are in the habit of giving nonprofits special pricing, but I have never given price discounts to companies simply because they are nonprofit. I prefer to price the job as usual. Then, if I felt the nonprofit was for a worthy cause that I wanted to support, I gave a donation. This allows you to keep a better handle on charitable giving. Besides, I believe a gift of money is far more appreciated than a discount. And if I can't afford to give them money, then how can I afford to give them the discount? There is really no difference, even if it feels like there is.

Brad in Kansas City

• Like Like x 4
  7. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    nonprofit is BS, a majority that are in this town are owned by the elite, I dont have time for that poor mouthing BS while you living high on the hog.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1