• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What material is used for....

mmcb

I'm looking at creating some banners and other bits and pieces, but I'm not sure what material is used for what I need.

At the moment I'm using a polycotton with opaque heat transfers to create designs and then cutting them out....right pain the *you know what* to get lined up 100% each time.

What I am hoping to be able to do is to have some kind of material that is opaque, thin, and is fray resistant so that I can cut out blank designs and then dye sub the detailing onto them using dye sub transfer paper. My initial thought was the material used to create pull-up banners, but I have no idea what that is.

Problem is:-
1) I have no idea what is available, or what is even suitable for what I want to do.
2) I really need it in small rolls (10 - 20m). 50 or 100m rolls will last me a lifetime!
3) I'd preferably like to find a supplier here in Australia.

At this stage I am concentrating on single sided detailing, but would also like to do double sided flags down the track.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,
Mark

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Give Ricky Richards a call... they have a tonne of different media for all print types.
They should be able to suggest the right media for the job. Once you have an idea, you can shop around.

mmcb

I was on the phone with them yesterday. They have two different types of media that may work, although they said they weren't exactly opaque by nature. Unfortunately they only sell them in 75m or 100m rolls (depending on which one) which, given the amounts that I'm using at a time, would last me close to 12months.

The other thing is that I don't know if the names they use is the "industry" name or their own product name. If it's their own product name, that makes shopping around a lot harder.

Bly

They usually change the name of their products which makes it hard to shop around.

mmcb

They recommended their "EcoDisplay" and "Samba". But they said that neither of them are actually "opaque", although what they consider opaque and what I'm considering opaque is probably up for interpretation. They also suggested that I contact someone that deals in smaller quantity lines and widths......which is where I'm partly coming unraveled.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Hmm, just had a look at EcoDisplay. It looks fairly dense, but only you can judge if it's suitable for your application.
I don't have any suppliers which do a comparable material sorry, as we are heavily ACM & vinyl printers.

mmcb

Thanks for info and help anyway, I appreciate it.

What do people in the industry actually use for banners/flags? Is it just a 100% polyester fabric that is then trimmed and hemmed?
Does anyone do the pull-up banners in dye sub anymore, or has that all gone over to solvent/eco solvent printing? Off the top of my head, that seems the most likely candidate for what I need. Of course I could be wrong!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We do all our pop-ups on UV now on PET media.
Can't be bothered with the solvent any more for pop-ups... We can get a UV printed banner out the door in less than 30 mins if the files are prepped correctly.