• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What material to attach vinyl too?

Modigity

Hello all I am new here and if this question has been asked (which I assume it may have) please feel free to send me that way.
I recently have gotten into doing some signs, I have been a custom picture framer and fine art printer for the last 10 years but took over some more space in my building and bit the bullet and got a solvent printer and am trying to do some sign work.
My question is what can I attach peel and stick vinyl to thats a more rigid than coroplast. Whats some good products to use I have done some research and what ive come up with was hdu but is pretty expensive just wondering what some other options were? Thank you all and look forward to delving into this field.

Morgan

Sign.ed

Well, you can stick all kinds of vinyls to all kinds of substrates... We use Dibond, Aluminum, Foamed PVC, Sintra, Acrylic, Poly-carbonate, and Chloroplast. There are many types of vinyls that can stick to many types of materials. So that is kind of akin to asking, "I need to cut stuff, what is the best knife?"

EDIT: There are vinyls for brick, concrete, boat wraps, fully submersed options.

See if you can parlay your SAV printing into some of your fine printing and framing realm.

Modigity

I'm using 3M™ IJ35 Scotchcal Graphic Film and need something more rigid than coroplast. Need something I can cut, I have a full service wood shop but wood won't work. Also needs to be able to hold up outside.

Billct2

There are many variables in choosing a substrate. But you can check out Aluminum Composite panel (Dibond) to start

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
Well friend you need to do some research here. How much do you want to spend? How long do you want it to last? How big is it going to be? Does it need to span? Is there a specific reason why wood won't work?
Start by looking at DiBond/Alupanel, Alumalite, aluminum, and Sintra...

Modigity

Well friend you need to do some research here. How much do you want to spend? How long do you want it to last? How big is it going to be? Does it need to span? Is there a specific reason why wood won't work?
Start by looking at DiBond/Alupanel, Alumalite, aluminum, and Sintra...
Well That's what I am trying to do, don't know what to look up and am just trying to get some options to research for this project and hopefully knowledge for other projects in the future. For exterior stuff I have only used coroplast in the past. Needed something more rigid that we can put some lags into to mount to another sign outside. Has to be able to be cut. I am trying to attach laminated 3M IJ35 to it the cut out the design. I had found out about HDU but that was a little to expensive so was just trying to figure another option. Will look into Dibond.