Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions What materials are you printing directly on with a Roland SP-540 or similar

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Sticker Fool, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Sticker Fool

Sticker Fool New Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Elmsdale, Nova Scotia
    Looking for some ideas for some new products to start printing. What are you currently printing on with a Roland SP540 or other eco-solvent printers? Can I print directly on magnetic material or coroplast? I have only been making stickers with mine and looking to expand its use.

Tags:
  2. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I have not done this, but I understand the very thin PVC or styrene sheets can be run through the printer. As far as magnetic goes, from what I have read here over the years it is not recommended. It is very heavy so it is hard on the scan motors. The thickness makes it prone to head strikes. I think there can also be problems introducing large magnetic sheets to the sensitive electronics.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    We've printed on translucent poly for backlit work. Looks incredible.
    Canvas works well. Photo paper too.
    HTM for t-shirts was good as well. Clients were always happy with the quality.

You will never be able to print on coro or anything thicker than about 1.2mm or so. Can't remember right now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sticker Fool

Sticker Fool New Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Elmsdale, Nova Scotia
    Thanks for the replys. If I am unable to print directly onto it what is everyone currently doing? Just print it and then running it through a laminator to lay it flat?

5. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Correct. Print self-adhesive vinyl, laminate (if long term), then mount to substrate with laminator.

If you're wanting to direct print to thicker materials and flat sheets you'll need a UV flatbed printer.