• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Once Was - Hand Lettering Inking and Vector Process

signage

[video=youtube;u-ARdjrDE2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ARdjrDE2c&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Enjoy!

Flame

Cool to make an old effect. Kind of the wrong process for creating vector letters, but if having a lot of noise is something you want in your design then that's how you pull it off. Was entertaining, thanks :)

peavey123

They skipped the step between ink and Illustrator. They should have brought it into photoshop before vectorizing. A couple quick tweaks would have pretty much made that take half as long. I've used this process before for creating vectors of more intricate stuff. THe photoshop step is a must IMO.

Baz

I used to hand trace allot but before scanning in the computer, overtop a light table, i would hand cut everything using and exacto knife and rubylith film. Then i would scan the ruby and it would make a for a really crisp vector file.

Cool video.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
cute project to show off to someone not in the business to justify your prices....

quite annoying to see the missteps and prolonged agony of completion....

Craig Sjoquist

Just wish they would make these videos that could learn from, doing this now creating my logo by hand painting over & over till I like Then trying to figure how to get it perfect in CorelDraw

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
And the point in that exercise in futility is what, exactly?

I saw really bad lettering executed using a most amateurish technique. With work of that scale generally one does not strike in and then fill. If you can call what they did striking in. You select the proper brush or nib or whatever and do it with as few strokes as is necessary. The more strokes, the cruder the result. The specimen doing the work in that clip gave every appearance of being someone's nephew who can draw.

That very same job if done by an actual professional would only have needed token cleaning up. The characters would have been properly formed**, the edges would have been crisp as well as the corners, and the fills would have been without holes.

**The instrument you're using, be it brush, pen, or a finger dipped in mayonnaise, forms the character stroke by stroke. You don't sketch at it, you set the instrument down on the media and move it. The more confidently you move it, the better the result.