• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Options to suggest to Customer ?

cinnamongirl56

Have a new customer that requested sandblasted business signs , well they have have decided that they thought the signs would be flat and smooth not textured and they don't feel like they are of good material(hdu) I explained that it was a very good material to use for outdoor signs but they would like other options, so what I would like to know is as these need to be oval in shape and will be hanging from overhead brackets what other type of durable material would you use? I have thought of alumilite as i have good results with it but I haven't found an edging cap that will bend nicely to use on this so any suggestions would be appreciated.......thanks

Jillbeans

Isn't that just like a customer to want one thing when they mean another?
What about something cut from Lustreboard? (like alumalite but with a wooden core and thicker) If you finish the edges real nice and get them cut on a router it would look great.
Love....Jill

Signalaugh

Try Alumacor

I believe that Alumalite has corrugated plastic. There is a product that I use that has a solid layer of plastic between two sheets of aluminum. It looks great and from my experience no need for outside edging.

Checkers

HDU has it's uses, but it does need internal support if it's hanging or mounted between posts.
I'm still a fan of good quality MDO. But, I have used PVC for hanging signs too.

Checkers

ChicagoGraphics

Max Metal or Dibond has a solid plastic core in the center and doesn't need to have trim cap. Or have a sign blasted in redwood.

Dane DeFord

I think I'd lean towards the expanded PVC. When it's cut on a router, leaves a nice clean edge. Thus, no need for edge cap.

Dane

cinnamongirl56

the alumilite/alumacore I have used is corrugated plastic sheet between sheets of aluminum but the the core is black so the finish when cut is dark adn doesn't have the finished look.........I didn't think PVC was good out in the cold and as these signs are on a building very close to the water out in the open , I'm not sure how it would hold up.........

cinnamongirl56

thanks Jillbeans I just checked out site can you tell me if it comes in two sided aluminum? One of the sign I will be doing is a four foot oval overhanging sign, will it be too heavy for that size of sign ?

Jillbeans

It is indeed double-sided. And comes masked.
It's also heavy, but with the right brackets/hanging hardware should be fine.
(the guys on here will know what to recommend)
HDU, as has been stated, needs internal support, and PVC can shatter in the cold.
And this stuff doesn't de-laminate like MDO, looking like it has psoriasis.
Like I said, get someone with a router to cut it out so the ovals are perfect.
Unless you are REALLY good with a jigsaw.

cinnamongirl56

sounds like a good option thanks for the info, hope someone will reccommend the type of brackets used on this and where to find them.........thank you