• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions What printer and media to print these stickers?

whatsinaname

Hi Folks

We have got a job which requires kind of stickers/decals to be printed and applied on phones etc like the attached image. The details of the print are not visible in this image clearly but the actual output has to be very clear and realistic. Just wondering what would be the best media and the best high resolution printer that will be recommended for this job.

Sticker_Front.jpg

Thnx

Christian @ 2CT Media

You need something with a picoliter dot size smaller than 4pl to recreate text that small and have it legible. you may also want to run in unidirectional mode.

whatsinaname

Thanks. can you suggest some models which go around 4pl ? Anything in Mimaki, Epson, HP or any other brands? Preferably with a smaller footprint. Also what media would be suitable from 3M? Will we require lamination over the print?

You need something with a picoliter dot size smaller than 4pl to recreate text that small and have it legible. you may also want to run in unidirectional mode.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Epson Is the only brand I can think of between those brands.

Yes you will need to laminate for scratch resistance (if required), and for phones I would look at ij35 unless it needs to be removed.

whatsinaname

Epson Is the only brand I can think of between those brands.

Yes you will need to laminate for scratch resistance (if required), and for phones I would look at ij35 unless it needs to be removed.

Thnx for the direction..Yes we will need something that can be removed..like a vehicle wrap film.

For the printer, any particular model that you would suggest from Epson?

burgmurk

i don't think any printer designed for signage would do a good job of this.
i would personally go see my friendly neighbourhood offset printer

whatsinaname

I think the same thing. I would go with an offset printer and/or stouse.

Checked with a few offset printers..They say this won't be suitable for an offset job. The reason is we will have random adhoc jobs with a mix of various phone models. Also there are a number of models (almost 50 phone models) which have to printed and cut. So I guess only digital printing will be suitable.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Checked with a few offset printers..They say this won't be suitable for an offset job. The reason is we will have random adhoc jobs with a mix of various phone models. Also there are a number of models (almost 50 phone models) which have to printed and cut. So I guess only digital printing will be suitable.
Look at the Epsons S40, S60, and S80

JPR-5690

When we have small label jobs that need high resolution we print them digitally.

Digital cut sheet vinyl isn’t cheap (costs us about $1.50 per 12x18 sheet with a min order of 600 sheets) but considering how quickly you can print on a production copier as opposed to a wf printer (esp running at a high pass count) the production cost is about the same.

Lindenmeyr carries cut sheet vinyl by Spinnaker (cheapest by far), Mohawk, and Neenah. OnlineLabels.com has some as well but only in 8.5x11 which makes cutting a royal pita if not impossible.

Raghaus

I would probably run these on a small format flatbed UV printer on vinyl with a clear on top - opposed to xerographic, as toner based vinyl stickers are pretty fragile in the long run and still need a laminate or clear coat for protection.

Scratch resistance and wear depends on the material used and would need to be tested.

To answer your question directly... Mimaki UJF 3042 or 6042 tick all the boxes.
I think sublimation may be well worth looking into for your task.