Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions What printer and media to print these stickers?

Discussion in 'Labels and Decals' started by whatsinaname, Jan 19, 2020.

1. whatsinaname

whatsinaname Member

May 6, 2008
    HongKong
    Hi Folks

We have got a job which requires kind of stickers/decals to be printed and applied on phones etc like the attached image. The details of the print are not visible in this image clearly but the actual output has to be very clear and realistic. Just wondering what would be the best media and the best high resolution printer that will be recommended for this job.

Sticker_Front.jpg

Thnx

Tags:
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    You need something with a picoliter dot size smaller than 4pl to recreate text that small and have it legible. you may also want to run in unidirectional mode.

3. whatsinaname

whatsinaname Member

May 6, 2008
    HongKong
    Thanks. can you suggest some models which go around 4pl ? Anything in Mimaki, Epson, HP or any other brands? Preferably with a smaller footprint. Also what media would be suitable from 3M? Will we require lamination over the print?

4. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Epson Is the only brand I can think of between those brands.

Yes you will need to laminate for scratch resistance (if required), and for phones I would look at ij35 unless it needs to be removed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    I would sub to someone like Stouse which has all types of specialty applications.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. whatsinaname

whatsinaname Member

May 6, 2008
    HongKong
    Thnx for the direction..Yes we will need something that can be removed..like a vehicle wrap film.

For the printer, any particular model that you would suggest from Epson?

7. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    S80 is probably the best option depending on the gamut needed and if you want a removable, look at the IJ40c or extreme removable IJ46.

8. burgmurk

burgmurk Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Auckland, New Zealand
    i don't think any printer designed for signage would do a good job of this.
    i would personally go see my friendly neighbourhood offset printer

9. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I think the same thing. I would go with an offset printer and/or stouse.

10. whatsinaname

whatsinaname Member

May 6, 2008
    HongKong
    Checked with a few offset printers..They say this won't be suitable for an offset job. The reason is we will have random adhoc jobs with a mix of various phone models. Also there are a number of models (almost 50 phone models) which have to printed and cut. So I guess only digital printing will be suitable.

11. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Look at the Epsons S40, S60, and S80

• Like Like x 1
  12. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    When we have small label jobs that need high resolution we print them digitally.

Digital cut sheet vinyl isn’t cheap (costs us about $1.50 per 12x18 sheet with a min order of 600 sheets) but considering how quickly you can print on a production copier as opposed to a wf printer (esp running at a high pass count) the production cost is about the same.

Lindenmeyr carries cut sheet vinyl by Spinnaker (cheapest by far), Mohawk, and Neenah. OnlineLabels.com has some as well but only in 8.5x11 which makes cutting a royal pita if not impossible.

13. mhartel

mhartel New Member

May 5, 2019
    Newburgh, New York
    I would probably run these on a small format flatbed UV printer on vinyl with a clear on top - opposed to xerographic, as toner based vinyl stickers are pretty fragile in the long run and still need a laminate or clear coat for protection.

Scratch resistance and wear depends on the material used and would need to be tested.

To answer your question directly... Mimaki UJF 3042 or 6042 tick all the boxes.
    I think sublimation may be well worth looking into for your task.