• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What printer do I need?

Baysidejim

Hello. New member here... I've been in the sign game for over 20 years. Mostly hand lettering and some computer cut vinyl. I'm spending a lot of money outsourcing my digital graphics jobs and think it's time to look for a used printer / cutter. I know nothing about them so I'm looking for some basic knowledge. I need something that will print on vinyl (Controltac is what I usually get from my print company that I'm currently using). Thanks in advance for any info!

lgroth

My personal recommendation would be look at Roland's... Solid work horses, print & cut on one device, they offer their own free rip software which can save thousands if you're just getting into the printing game. One of our printers is an old Roland SC540 Pro-II, it's over 15 years old and still going strong making us money all day, every day.

Correct Color

I need "Digital printing for Dummies".

It's really not a bad idea.

Thing is that it's easy to get into digital printing and wind up spending a ton of money learning a lot of things the hard way. Because not only do you need to find the right mix of machines, but you've also got to learn how to use them, and how to get files to them correctly. There's a fair bit to it.

I do offer something akin to what you're looking for. I can point you in the right direction in terms of setting everything up and getting it going. And of course it will cost, but in the end, it'll cost a lot less than "learning it on the street."

I'll also note that I'm intimately familiar with just about every printer out there you might be considering, as well as every RIP. There's no right or wrong answer, really, it all just depends on what you want the thing to do. And that choice can even get down to corporate colors of clients you might want to pursue, as well as of course what your overall budget is.

Drop me a line if you're interested.

lgroth

In a nutshell, these printers aren't like your desktop printers... There is no "click & print". Without getting real technical, Rip (Raster Imaging Processor)Software rasterizes files for digital print output, can't print without it. There are several software companies that make rip software, can run anywhere from a grand or two to over ten grand depending on the software and printer. You can get 3rd party software for Rolands that are very good, but they also have their own, Roland Versaworks. Even if you buy a used Roland and it's not included all you have to do is register the serial number of the printer with them and they'll give it to you, the software only works with Roland printers. It is a big cost saver for someone just starting out unless you can find someone selling a printer with an active rip software bundle included.

Dennis422

The best printer for your business would be the one that fits in your budget and the one that will suit your business the most.
I'm not being a smarta$$, with these comments. You are the one that should know the best.

Do you have work lined up to have printer busy enough? How often will you print. 1-2 times a week, or will you have steady everyday work.
I am a small shop, print a few prints a week. Used to have Mutoh Falcon that drove me crazy. Not saying that Mutoh is bad, but having to print something every day to make sure printheads will not clog was not fun.
Even with that, I had issue with printheads every few months. That is an older model, new ones should be a bit better as far as the printheds.
Right now, I have HP L25500, which I bought used about 2 years ago. Few small hitches since I bought it, few user-replacable printheads were changed and that was about it when it comes to the problems. I still print a few prints a week, but at least I do not have to worry about the clogged printheads any more.

Again, if you feel that you can feed a solvent printer enough, that might be something for you. If not, your best bet would be a latex printer.

Good luck

Brink

Just don't buy a used printer unless it's set up and working somewhere and you can test it before buying. Printers that sit around for just a short time will clog up and cost a ton of money to get it working again.

father

The best printer for your business would be the one that fits in your budget and the one that will suit your business the most.
I'm not being a smarta$$, with these comments. You are the one that should know the best.

Do you have work lined up to have printer busy enough? How often will you print. 1-2 times a week, or will you have steady everyday work.
I am a small shop, print a few prints a week. Used to have Mutoh Falcon that drove me crazy. Not saying that Mutoh is bad, but having to print something every day to make sure printheads will not clog was not fun.
Even with that, I had issue with printheads every few months. That is an older model, new ones should be a bit better as far as the printheds.
Right now, I have HP L25500, which I bought used about 2 years ago. Few small hitches since I bought it, few user-replacable printheads were changed and that was about it when it comes to the problems. I still print a few prints a week, but at least I do not have to worry about the clogged printheads any more.

Again, if you feel that you can feed a solvent printer enough, that might be something for you. If not, your best bet would be a latex printer.

Good luck

I'll throw out there that the Falcons are a far cry from the current Mutoh models. They've changed quite a bit and significantly improved what they were/what is required to keep the head from clogging. I can't comment on the HP machines since I've never owned one, but other than that I agree with you.

player

Get a Roland...

VP540i used. Roland print/cut printers save the hours used, the amount of ink through the heads and number of head strikes if any. 20-200 hours is a desirable unit

You will also need a laminator.

Baysidejim

At this time, I only have a couple jobs a week to run but I haven't been marketing this at all. I have a pretty good clientele built up for what I do but I am looking to expand into the printing. Has anyone heard about the UV protective coating that rolls on like paint?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Look into the Epson S60670 line (previous generation), they just came out with their new models and every dealer is clearancing their demo models for rock-bottom prices. We just bought one with almost no "print miles" on it for an unbelievably low price.

Baysidejim

Look into the Epson S60670 line (previous generation), they just came out with their new models and every dealer is clearancing their demo models for rock-bottom prices. We just bought one with almost no "print miles" on it for an unbelievably low price.

Thanks! Do those come with the RIP ? Or am I on my oun to figure that out?

Baysidejim

In a nutshell, these printers aren't like your desktop printers... There is no "click & print". Without getting real technical, Rip (Raster Imaging Processor)Software rasterizes files for digital print output, can't print without it. There are several software companies that make rip software, can run anywhere from a grand or two to over ten grand depending on the software and printer. You can get 3rd party software for Rolands that are very good, but they also have their own, Roland Versaworks. Even if you buy a used Roland and it's not included all you have to do is register the serial number of the printer with them and they'll give it to you, the software only works with Roland printers. It is a big cost saver for someone just starting out unless you can find someone selling a printer with an active rip software bundle included.[/QUO

Thanks. I've always had good results with Roland cutters.

ams

Hello. New member here... I've been in the sign game for over 20 years. Mostly hand lettering and some computer cut vinyl. I'm spending a lot of money outsourcing my digital graphics jobs and think it's time to look for a used printer / cutter. I know nothing about them so I'm looking for some basic knowledge. I need something that will print on vinyl (Controltac is what I usually get from my print company that I'm currently using). Thanks in advance for any info!

Stick with Roland. Start with a 54" Print and Cut. Get one that has both. Also you'll need to invest in a laminator. I suggest SEAL laminators, you can pick up a 55" for $5500 new

jfiscus

Rap Master
Thanks! Do those come with the RIP ? Or am I on my oun to figure that out?
I think they might, Epson used to have their own RIP called Colorburst for their printers. However, we use Onyx RIPs here for all of our printers.
I know another poster above suggested a Seal laminator, but I have to disagree and recommend a GFP laminator.