• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what processor do you use

skasigns

We just purchased a Graphtec 54" cutter and a Mimaki JV4 160 printer. We talked to someone at Aurora concerning software for vehicle wraps, etc. He recommended we'd need a Core duo Extreme processor, and a RAID 0 setup with SATA hard drives (preferably the 10,000 rpm drives), with a minimum of 2GB of RAM. He gave us some prices with the minumum being about $6,000.00. My question is what all of you use or recommend for working with large files.

Thanks for all the help we've gotten so far!!!

DRPSignsNGrafix

I have a 54" Printer and i do print large files. I have a great computer for it but it was only around $1,000.00 not $6,000.00 I have a duo Core Processor, 2GB of Ram, i have 2 sata HD drives. and a 128MB video Card. I've done some very large files with no problem and pretty fast. I also always have open Photoshop CS2, Adobe Illistrator CS2, Flexi, Internet, Instant Messanger, and my media player. And never does it slow down. If your interested let me know i can send you to the place i bought my PC. Hope this helps. I use the aura fills as well.

Spud

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or better (Unless you know what over-clocking is then go with the E4300)

2 Gigs of Ram
256 Ram Pci-E Graphics Card
The RAID setup isn't to important for performance. From what I know it won't be a seat in the pants difference. I'd get just a 300gb + 7,200 Seagate or something.

Throw some lights in there... and you have a computer.

Oh and you can get a nice dvd/cd burner combo for cheap as well and another cd rom and you'll pretty much be set for a really nice computer!

If you want prices for the parts I can do a break down for you but you're not looking over $1,000..

animenick65

A RAID 0+1 setup would be your best bet. This will give you the performance you need for the scratch disk usage that Photoshop will use but it will also give you the backup you need to keep your system safe. At the very least use a RAID 0 setup and just back that up to an external from time to time. Most people can get away without a RAID setup but with the price of hard drives being so low and most MOBOs supporting it, its not a half bad idea!

Spud

True on the price of hard drives. I need to look into the RAID setups more.. there's alot of info there I don't know but I heard could be very useful for scratch disk..

3dsignco

Here is the recent Machine I built. We have 3 of these in our shop. The only Differnce is on One Machine Our Server I run a RAID 5+0 This is 5 Hard drives Running Striping for speed and Mirror for security and one parity Drive. That way 3 of us can access all the file without a slow down.
We order through MWAVE.. Have tried Tiger but they always seemed to be out of what I wanted and would back order etc.. Too much of a pain
Mwave always has what I want and gets it shipped out usally the same day Great Customer service Even on Faulty parts. They have sent stuff out to me when it was faulty even before I could return ship the bad part.

http://www.mwave.com

MB-BA21419 -BA30116 -BA20346-BA20346 -TEST 1
INTEL PENTIUM D Dual Core 820 2.8 GHZ EM64T 800MHZ RETAIL BOXED BUNDLE
W/ INTEL BOXD945GTPLR
CRUCIAL 2GB DDR2 533 (512MB x 4)
ASSEMBLE/TEST BUNDLE $341.90 $341.90

AA48770 - 1 SEAGATE 320GB ST3320620AS SATA2 7200RPM 16MB (Bare drive)NO DATA CABLE NO POWER CORD $96.90 $96.90

AA51990 - 2 SONY AW-Q170A-B2 BLACK 18X SUPER ALL-WRITE DVDRW DRIVE (Bare drive) NO ADD-ON MEDIA $31.90 $63.80

BA30107 - 1 ANTEC SONATA II (BLACK) MID TOWER W/SMARTPOWER 2.0 450W ATX POWER SUPPLY NO EXTRA FAN $96.60 $96.60

1 AA32400 - 1 MITSUMI FA-404 1.44 FLOPPY + 7 IN 1 CARD READER (Black-bare drive) NO FDD CABLE $19.90 $19.90

Thank you for choosing Sub-Total $619.10
Shipping & Handling Fee $24.11
Order Total 643.21

3dsignco

OOPs
That order is not showing a Vid Card as I already had one to use. Add around $100 for decent 256Meg PCIE. You don't need a massive $400 3d Gaiming Card for 2d sign work.