• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What processor to run?

cdiesel

I'm having a new pc built, and was discussing the options with my computer guy. He's recommending the core 2 duo extreme, at 2.93 Ghz. We currently have a 2 Ghz core duo and a 3.4 Ghz P4. The P4 blows the core duo away, despite the fact that the P4 has only 3Gb of ram, and the core duo has 4Gb.

Another option he presented was using a quad core, but the processor speed was slower, 2.2 Ghz I believe, and that concerns me.

The pc will be used mainly for photoshop, illustrator and corel. It will also run versaworks, while usually running outlook and IE in the background. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

cdiesel

Also, I am under the impression I can't run more than 4Gb of ram on a XP pro system. Is this also true of the 64 bit XP Pro? I'm not ready for Vista, but I'd like to run 8Gb of ram.

Are you replacing or adding a machine? The reason is that both machines that you mention are not really useless antiques, although you did not mention the remainder of the configs.

cdiesel

Well, we'll be adding. We also run two 2Ghz laptops with 2Gb of ram, and we run our Tjet off of one of these. We just upped the ram in the laptops from 1Gb to two, and ripping speed increased by leaps. Each of the other desktops is hooked to a plotter, and the core duo runs the XC 540. We actually have versaworks installed on both desktops, and we've been told that either of the pcs can run it because the 540 is networked, unlike the old versacamm. Haven't done it yet, though.

Basically, I am looking for something that will handle large photoshop files better than what we have now. The pcs we have now work okay, but I get frustrated waiting on the computer. A few seconds is one thing, but you can literally get up and walk away.

A few seconds is one thing, but you can literally get up and walk away.

These files must be HUGE. There may not be a solution for you yet, other than trying to limit or minimize your file size. As you know, XP has its memory limitations. Vista is different in that aspect, but also has a greater memory requirement to begin with.

Does versaworks run on XP yet? Photoshop CS2 does but it is not written to maximize dual core/ large memory systems - I believe CS3 is going to address this but cannot say for sure.

Below is the config of my personal machine. It can open large PSD files (1gb) in about a minute - but it really is not cost effective or feasible for most (I already had it, although I am not a gamer). The physical separation of the scratch disks and the OS swap file make a huge difference in themselves. Also, SCSI is meant to handle multiple simultaneous requests, limited primary by the bandwidth of the PCI bus.

D920 (Dual 2.8) running 3.93 Ghz
3GB DDR-800
256mb X1600 video
Adaptec U320 SCSI
Drives (all SCSI)
1-15k Seagate (for OS)
1-10k Fujitsu (Data Files)
1-10k Fujitsu (PSD and Corel Scratch disk)
1-10k Fujitsu (Windows swap file)
1-10k Fujitsu (Redundant data files)

Possibly, if you call Adobe and ask them what a "no holds barred" configuration is, they can tell you OR find somebody that designs grand format stuff (if they are not Mac) and see what they run. Their demands are also very huge.

Spud

3gb of ram? With what sticks? Is your P4 dual or single-core?

And that x6800 Core 2 Due extreme is NICE - matter of fact the best out right now but why waste the money.. you could pick up a E4300 Core 2 Duo or even a E6400 and save hundreds and literally not be in any other situation.

And as of core clock speeds, lower isn't always better.. depends on alot of factors (ie: different type of chip) but my 1.86ghz E6300 C2D kills any P4 on the market even if the P4 is overclocked...

P4's are crappy anyways you'll notice a huge difference with ANY C2D choice..

Would you want to save money or no? I can give you a setup to die for either way..

Spud

These files must be HUGE. There may not be a solution for you yet, other than trying to limit or minimize your file size. As you know, XP has its memory limitations. Vista is different in that aspect, but also has a greater memory requirement to begin with.

Does versaworks run on XP yet? Photoshop CS2 does but it is not written to maximize dual core/ large memory systems - I believe CS3 is going to address this but cannot say for sure.

Below is the config of my personal machine. It can open large PSD files (1gb) in about a minute - but it really is not cost effective or feasible for most (I already had it, although I am not a gamer). The physical separation of the scratch disks and the OS swap file make a huge difference in themselves. Also, SCSI is meant to handle multiple simultaneous requests, limited primary by the bandwidth of the PCI bus.

D920 (Dual 2.8) running 3.93 Ghz
3GB DDR-800
256mb X1600 video
Adaptec U320 SCSI
Drives (all SCSI)
1-15k Seagate (for OS)
1-10k Fujitsu (Data Files)
1-10k Fujitsu (PSD and Corel Scratch disk)
1-10k Fujitsu (Windows swap file)
1-10k Fujitsu (Redundant data files)

Possibly, if you call Adobe and ask them what a "no holds barred" configuration is, they can tell you OR find somebody that designs grand format stuff (if they are not Mac) and see what they run. Their demands are also very huge.

What sticks are you using? I've heard numerous times that on dual-cores if you wan 1gb stick each it'll be faster then those 3gbs you have =)

Crazy? Nah, it's the efficiency of each core using each stick separately otherwise it's sharing I believe..

But i'm not really sure just some stuff i've read up on...

What sticks are you using?

2 pairs (1GB x 2 and 512mb x 2) on an ASUS P5WD2. We did not go for 4GB because it would not do anything with XP. By the time we make the switch to Vista (current software limitations) this machine will get handed down, except for the SCSI.

They have 15k rpm now?

For a long time now.

PC-800 is fairly old RAM

Actually DDR-800 is PC6400

And as of core clock speeds, lower isn't always better.. depends on alot of factors

You are 100% correct - it takes a bit of reading, which is why the configuration is shown.

I wasn't into any of this stuff because of the horror stories of CPU failures. After a lot of research, I saw that the newer CPU's have thermal protection (throttling), making it almost impossible to fry a processor.

Spud

It's funny.. most people that are out getting the EX6800 won't ever touch my overclocked E6300 - they are almost the SAME thing but between the E6600 and EX6800 it's the same chip just basically under clocked - just like cinemasign.grafix posted in his link.

Saves alot of money - even if you aren't about saving money!

2 pairs (1GB x 2 and 512mb x 2) on an ASUS P5WD2. We did not go for 4GB because it would not do anything with XP. By the time we make the switch to Vista (current software limitations) this machine will get handed down, except for the SCSI.

Ah! I see - so i'm guessing each core is using the ram efficiently? Dang.. I have to get a new Mother Board.. ugh..

Cdiesel, are you on a budget or no?

cdiesel

I'm lost now. All this talk of overclocking and such. The last machine I overclocked was a 486 33Mhz. Took that bad boy to 66Mhz! I wasn't even aware you could overclock current processors, but now that you guys mention it, it makes sense.

I'm on a budget to a point. I don't want to drop $10k on a machine, but I realize that it's not going to be cheap. My main questions are:

Go dual processor or not?
Which processor?
Can I overclock whatever processor is recommended?
Is a 10k or 15k drive going to be that much faster than the 7.2k drives? Especially considering that photoshop loves the scratch disk.

I think I'm going to point my computer guy over here. He'll know exactly what questions to ask you guys.