• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Product do you use for Solid Color Wraps ?

Vinh1219

Im currently using the 3M Scotchprint 1080 Series. Wanted to know if there is any other ones out there you guys would recommend for Matte Black. Thanks

kstompaint

+1 for Oracal 970RA

We did two of these Porsche GT3 cars with it in silver metallic. The hood and trim was 3M carbon fiber.

Attachments

• Porsche GT3.jpg
    Porsche GT3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 81

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
More Oracal 970RA in matte black. One thing of importance on Oracals films. Do NOT use Primer 94 with it and avoid letting it touch the vehicle before squeegeeing if at all possible - it does not like getting pulled back up for repositioning and it does not play well with primer.

Looks great though and overall it is easy to work with and install. Fender flares..... pshhhh those aint no fender flares in that other thread.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 100

njshorts

Oracal 970RA for all solid-color... love it. Getting ready to color change a ford escape next week with it.

Vinh1219

I heard the 970RA is known for leaving glue residue on the car if you need to lift and reposition it. Is that true cause i always have to reposition my install.

kstompaint

I heard the 970RA is known for leaving glue residue on the car if you need to lift and reposition it. Is that true cause i always have to reposition my install.
Not at all true. The Porsche that's pictured above got wrecked a few weeks ago. I had to re-wrap one whole side of it with no help (other than a mechanic who helped for 2 minutes to get the paper off). Let's just say I had to reposition it a few times.

tattoo.dan

More Oracal 970RA in matte black. One thing of importance on Oracals films. Do NOT use Primer 94 with it and avoid letting it touch the vehicle before squeegeeing if at all possible - it does not like getting pulled back up for repositioning and it does not play well with primer.

Looks great though and overall it is easy to work with and install. Fender flares..... pshhhh those aint no fender flares in that other thread.
:rock-n-roll:

Wiggum PI

Was actually looking at this film. What would you say about it.. compared to Oracal 970Ra Range and 3M 180c

Haven't used Oracal but even the 3M supplier here prefers the Avery :p
Has an extra layer of clear over the top which brings the thickness up to 80mic for easier handling(and longer life) and has the EA RS adhesive which i love using.And also comes in 1370mm wide(54 inch).

My 0.02c :)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Avoid repositioning as much as possible but this is overall not an issue. It "can" become a problem if you are attempting it in less than favorable conditions like outside in the direct sun or if you are using primer in places and it lands on the primer. Just install it in the proper enviorment and do not use primer (Oracal 970 really does not need it). The stuff does apply very nice and their matte is the best looking matte out there in my opinion. It's very much like the silk finish you can get on business cards. Buttery smooth - not ultra flat or in any way chalky like primer or uncoated paper. When people see my truck they cannot help but touch it - it is very unique and I get a lot of positive comments. Also sold a bit from my truck being done in it. :)

Alti-Plotter

The stuff does apply very nice and their matte is the best looking matte out there in my opinion. It's very much like the silk finish you can get on business cards. Buttery smooth - not ultra flat or in any way chalky like primer or uncoated paper.

Have you ever seen or worked with Hexis matt or super matt black ? Any comparisons between 3 M, Oracal and Hexis ?

Premier Wraps

Have you ever seen or worked with Hexis matt or super matt black ? Any comparisons between 3 M, Oracal and Hexis ?

We did a BMW in Hexis Super Matte. Talk about dull. It's good looking. Problem is it scratches really bad. We did the hood three times until we found a squeegy, post heat and wax combo that worked. Once it was wrapped we went over the entire thing with a flared tip on the heat gun (and it was cranked) to somewhat smooth out all the scratches. Then went back and waxed it with a nano style wax to finalize the smooth look. Turned out amazing. But what a pain. Customer tried waxing it about 2 months later with some other style wax and totally ruined the entire wrap. Brought it back to us we pulled it off. Overall. Never again. Maintenance was way to high.

We've also done cars in 3M 1080. Amazing stuff. Hate their V3 with passion, but their 1080 line is *****en stuff.

Also done cars with Avery's Supreme line. Love the stuff. But you gotta really be care full. It will come up in places unless you post heat extra hot (over 200*). Goes on nice. Feels more compliable then 1080, but less initial tack. The finish is better looking then the 3M IMO.

If a car came into tomorrow for matte black I'd go Avery but if I couldn't get it in time i'd have no problem going to 3M. I'd just stay away from Hexis.

Oracal is to shiny. looks satin, not matte. Plus I've seen cars where parts are failing/lifting in areas that are really easy and honestly shouldn't be lifting. That said, i've never installed it.

Alti-Plotter

Thank you for the informations Premier Wraps.

I've already heard that Hexis Super Matte was very difficult to apply without leaving scratches and that maintenance was a pain in the ... .
If a car came into tomorrow for matte black I'd go Avery but if I couldn't get it in time i'd have no problem going to 3M. I'd just stay away from Hexis.
Did you also have problems with mat black or other products from Hexis?

Premier Wraps

Thank you for the informations Premier Wraps.

I've already heard that Hexis Super Matte was very difficult to apply without leaving scratches and that maintenance was a pain in the ... .

Did you also have problems with mat black or other products from Hexis?

Just not a fan of their line. feels Plasticy. Hard to describe. Done a few cars in it and complain to myself every time. Just over it.