• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What settings allow exact CMYK control?

tedbragg

My background is old skool, hand separated screen print and mechanical film/plate making. Back then, you put down 25% cyan you knew what you were getting. I specify that in Illustrator or Photoshop, Roland will reinterpret that with a profile. Which is okay but Im wanting direct control. I’ve used the Density and Calibration profile settings in VW but it still has other colors mixing in it.

Is there a way to force my Xr640 to output like an offset press—and bypass all the helpful profiles?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Most RIPs have an option to turn off color calibration / profiles but then it usually oversaturates. The best of both worlds is what they usually call "color replacement" in most RIPs where you tell it to override certain colors with specified CMYK values. That way you still get the benefit of the ink density setting of the profile but have more control over the CMYK values. Either that or you can make custom spot colors with your specified CMYK values and map them to your RIP. It all just depends on what RIP you're using. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it in VersaWorks but I wouldn't be surprised if it has those options available.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
I've never been able to locate color replacement in VW... I can do this in onyx but I don't believe it's an option in VW.

My background is old skool, hand separated screen print and mechanical film/plate making. Back then, you put down 25% cyan you knew what you were getting. I specify that in Illustrator or Photoshop, Roland will reinterpret that with a profile. Which is okay but Im wanting direct control. I’ve used the Density and Calibration profile settings in VW but it still has other colors mixing in it.

Is there a way to force my Xr640 to output like an offset press—and bypass all the helpful profiles?
1) The color build must be a CMYK-defined color recipe.
2) In the Color Management Setting list box choose 'Density Control Only'.

JBurton

Signtologist
Simple workaround, download a trial of onyx, set it to 'all icc profiles off' in the preflight/job options area, get c m y and k in exact values, profit!

Christian @ 2CT Media

You should be able to use pure hues so it will prevent mixing if you send C only.

The real question is why do you want to do this. CYAN ink isn't like CYAN paint or CYAN screen ink.

tedbragg

Sometimes I print my original comicstrips as posters, with exaggerated banday halftones. My PS color palette is based off vintage Marvel and DC colorist guides (10,25,50,75,100%)
It's just one of those nerdy things I like to do :)

Christian @ 2CT Media

Sometimes I print my original comicstrips as posters, with exaggerated banday halftones. My PS color palette is based off vintage Marvel and DC colorist guides (10,25,50,75,100%)
It's just one of those nerdy things I like to do :)
I understand, but printing solid channels with digital ink is going to give you a different result then you may expect, or you will have to dump more ink and passes than normal.

drvinyl

In the shop i used to work at we had a magic eye that could color match real world colours and change them to LAB values and it came out exactly like the colour you pinged

we used to just get the customer to supply us with something they already had printed with colors they liked and used that to ping the color values.