• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Sewing Machine?

Harry182

Hi All,

What sewing machines do you guys use for hemming banners?

At the moment, we're looking to replace ours. We have a union special, twin needle, chain stitch with a fold feeder thingy ma bob! We use it to sew a 30mm hem.

It's been amazing but at the moment we're having some one to come fix it up at least once a month and the gentlemen who sorts it is looking to retire soon.

Just looking at our options really. So what have you got? How do you rate it? And anything else worth considering?

mmblarg

We don't sew, but on the "anything else to consider" question, we've been looking into heat welded banner seams - one machine we've had our eye on is the T3 Extreme by Miller. There's a couple of YouTube videos on it if it peaks your interest but we don't have any experience with it beyond a little light research.

WildWestDesigns

We have a union special, twin needle, chain stitch with a fold feeder thingy ma bob!

Now, I have to mention my use of sewing machines and overlocks etc is not necessarily from the banner side, so take it for what it's worth.

We run Juki and commercial Pfaff and Brother machines and Merrow for the overlock side of things. One is a twin needle, but the others are single. There are ways around that as well with twin needles for single needle machines (it alternatives which side gets the bobbin).

I'm not a chain stitch fan for these types of applications. Chain stitches are designed to come out easily (think of livestock feed sacks, those use chain stitches to sew up the top and bottom, easy pull to open). Unless you do something to help terminate the stitches from being able to be pulled all the way out. Not saying that that type of stitch can't be uses, obviously you used it, I just rather not have to worry about some other production aspect to worry about. I've been one of those that likes my stitches to withstand a "nuclear blast" if need be. To me, a lock stitch does that best.

Just my thoughts on that.

Harry182

Thanks for the replay so far guys :)

We don't sew, but on the "anything else to consider" question, we've been looking into heat welded banner seams - one machine we've had our eye on is the T3 Extreme by Miller. There's a couple of YouTube videos on it if it peaks your interest but we don't have any experience with it beyond a little light research.

Seen a couple of welders and this was my first thought. Just because of how tidy the finish looks and also how easy it'd be to finish but Boss shot it down after bad experiences with them in the past.

Ultrafeed Sewing Machines

I've seen these being talked about in the past on here.

These I've been looking at, but think there going to be a no because of the single stitch :(

Now, I have to mention my use of sewing machines and overlocks etc is not necessarily from the banner side, so take it for what it's worth.

We run Juki and commercial Pfaff and Brother machines and Merrow for the overlock side of things. One is a twin needle, but the others are single. There are ways around that as well with twin needles for single needle machines (it alternatives which side gets the bobbin).

I'm not a chain stitch fan for these types of applications. Chain stitches are designed to come out easily (think of livestock feed sacks, those use chain stitches to sew up the top and bottom, easy pull to open). Unless you do something to help terminate the stitches from being able to be pulled all the way out. Not saying that that type of stitch can't be uses, obviously you used it, I just rather not have to worry about some other production aspect to worry about. I've been one of those that likes my stitches to withstand a "nuclear blast" if need be. To me, a lock stitch does that best.

Just my thoughts on that.

Hey no every bit of info is appreciated. :)

Our chain stitch machine at the moment is every bit you described with the thread coming undone. Handy sometimes when we get problems with a stitch but seems to be a nightmare when it's not working correctly. We use either eyelets or a dab or super glue on the ends to stop them from coming undone.

Will defiantly check out the machines you mentioned!

Thanks again for the comments so far guys :)

Ryan Scott

I use this and it's great. It's a little fidgety, at one of the old shops I worked at we had a bigger one that was awesome. Never had any issues. But it's a great little welder and does what it's meant to. Saves on banner tape, time, and is an overall better product.

GB2

Old Member
We have a Juki 1541 and think it is one of the best machines for banners and similar material. It is a single lockstitch machine.