• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What substrate for hanging sign?

jman

Hey everyone, I have an estimate to do on a existing sign structure that had a overhanging sign but the new place that's leasing needs their sign as the old tenants took theirs when they left.

The sign is going to be hung using quick links and I'm debating on what the best substrate that wouldn't bow would be. I don't do many signs this large that are hanging so in the past I've used 3mm dibond and .063 aluminum. What would you guys suggest? The sign will be 4 feet wide x 3 feet tall 2 sided.

Thank you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Need more information and a snapshot of the existing hardware and what the hanger looks like. Ya need to know what the hanger will be capable of holding, weight-wise. Did you check with codes and find out if you can do the same thing over ?? If codes changed while the other one was up, it would be grandfathered in, but replacing the sign entirely might not meet code, any longer. Ask me how I know. :wink:

Billct2

Definitely need to know if the structure is still capable of handling it.
That is really large for a swinging sign.
I build swinging signs heavy, you want them to move, but not whip around in the ind.

jman

It will hold as it's holding a backlit sign box 4x4' above this sign currently also.

Quick snap from google street view.

What substrate you guys think would be best and thickness? .080 isn't thick but it has some weight to it...Vendor is telling me 3mm dibond would be fine but I'm not convinced (grimco)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 161

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It will hold as it's holding a backlit sign box 4x4' above this sign currently also.

What substrate you guys think would be best and thickness? .080 isn't thick but it has some weight to it...Vendor is telling me 3mm dibond would be fine but I'm not convinced (grimco)
1/2" MDO. Aluminum composite will either warp or fly around too much.....even 6mm. 10mm, ya might as well go MDO.

ams

I highly suggest using Lusterboard (aluminum on both sides and 1/2" wood in the middle) you can also get it in 3/4". It's great for blade signs and hanging signs. Also since I haven't seen it warp, it is heavy and won't blow like crazy in the wind.

ams

dibond is very light and it'll flip up and damage the sign. Lusterboard is heavy and it will still swing just not as much.