• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what substrate to use?

max

good day everyone...
i am hoping somneone could offer their advice on this situation i am in.
need to make 4 signs to hang on corrugated building all of them are 4x8.
they need to be red in color as i will be installing white cut vinyl to them.
in the past i have used nu alum which is half inch thick plywood with aluminum face. i have used this because of the fear of the panel waffling over time if i used anything thinner.
now the problem is that i can not find any distributor that carries the nu alum in red.
in fact the only thing i can get in red is aluma corr which i am not to big on because of the fluted inner of it like coroplast as i think it just looks cheap and i have never had much luck with the trim cap staying on it over time. the other option is the 3mm acm like max metal or polymetal, but i fear that it will start to waffle over time being that it is going on a corrugated building...
so i am trying to figure out which way i should go with this.
can anyone offer some advice as to what to do in this dilemma?
thanks so much!!!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Find the supplier who has it in white and either cover it in red vinyl or paint it, if you know how to open a can of paint and roll it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
WE all know you can buy it in red, but the OP is having trouble finding someone who evidently stocks it IN RED, so therefore they need to find some similar product in red or make a white panel turn red. :wink:

max

yes trust me i would love to just use 3mm polymetal but i have seen before that it will start to waffle if installed on a non solid surface.
and the only problem with covering with red vinyl or just making a print to cover the boards is that they will be butted up to each other forming 2 4x16 signs. and i know in time the vinyl will begin to recede a bit exposing the white underneath.
i am leaning towards just coating them all out in red paint. just hate to do it when i know there is nu alum product out there that would come to me in red....aaarggh

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If all you're worrying about is some movement from the corrugations, why not just put a solid piece of anything.... a painted piece of wood up first to take the weeble/wobble out and hang your finished panels on them ??

J Hill Designs

yep - two methods:

solid stringer top/bottom to attach to, or
spacers at points of fastening

edit: since its 2 side by side, I would use full stringers.

Salmoneye

Mosh has a good idea. I would use alumalite with the flutes way before polymetal. I have seen so much polymetal 'oilcan', the alumalite is very rigid by comparison. Don't have a good solution for the trimcap however.