• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what tape do you use for your hinge?

Imakesigns

i have been using 3m painters tape for years. the other day i figured out i could buy twice the tape for the same price. who here uses standard .94 tape (white color) from lowes for hinging? who uses painters tape? am i wasting money with the painters tape?

yes, i do believe this could be a waste of money. the amount of tape i process in a year could lead to hundreds in savings if not thousands with a cheaper product. call me a 'penny pinching, stepping over dimes to pick up nickles, tightwad, cheap mo jo....'

Andy D

We use painters tape, not sure of the brand but my favorite is the orange color :smile:
I agree though, painters tape is a waste for vinyl application. A thick, medium to high tack, masking
tape works best.

T

TonyC

Masking tape

We buy masking tape from auto parts stores. Currently using a 3/4" yellow tape made by 3M. We tried the cheaper stuff but it does not tear off evenly and can be a pain.

visual800

we use 3m masking tape from lowes. I have used the auto tape but why spend the extra money is you dont need it.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I use the blue painters tape from lowes, as well. I tried the white tape, but it does seem to come off clean, which to me is much more important than cost.

I have used the green tape from the auto painters supply, and like it, as well, but to get it is a special trip to another store. I'm always at lowes, so I just pick it up when I'm there...

Gene@mpls

Started this business 19 years ago after selling my bodyshop (got tired of insurance companies telling me what I could charge) - have never used anything but green 3m body tape- 3/4 and 1.5 inch. Used to get it at NAPA but from ABody supply is cheaper, and they deliver. Costs money to make money and this business is a moneymaker.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The difference between 3M, in whatever color gets you off, and whatever is in second place is measured in light years. For myself, I use plain old vanilla 3M masking tape. Over the years I've tried a plethora of other brands and they all come up wanting.

rjssigns

3M 06656 Yellow Automotive Refinish Tape (3/4" wide)

I still paint vehicles, bikes etc... so its always in the shop.

Jwalk

For delicate jobs like interior dry wall I play it safe and go with painters tape. with exterior applications I use the normal off white wannabe tape, I started using it because I needed more adhesion but then also realized I didn't need painters tape for the rougher surfaces.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
3M 2020 here too.

Also here..... our supplier I get our tape and blades from (RS Hughes) gave us a couple of rolls of the 200 a while back to try since its cheaper but I did not like it. Been using the 2020 36mm (like 1.4" wide rolls) for a several years now. Get it by the case and its very reasonable.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
3M 233+. Need something that will hold at high temperatures and not leave adhesive. Yes it's expensive but I can trust it but I use less tape and more magnets now.

The Hobbyist

I haven't laid vinyl in a long time, but it would seem that a set of rare earth magnets would serve very well as a hinge on vehicles.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I guess I could also point out that we do use magnets a lot as well. However on a LOT of the vehicles we work on they are useless. We do a ton a buses, ambulances, and trailers that are not steel sides.

Pippin Decals

I actually use the cheap tan/brown painters tape from the dollar store. never had a issue yet in the 9 months of using it on everything i apply to.Glass,paint etc..