• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what the !^€; is wrong with people? part....too high to count

Kottwitz-Graphics

I stopped in the local hardware store to pick up some bolts for a project I was working on. The guy that works in there asked me how much a rear window perf would run, and I asked him size. He gives me the "rough size " so I give him a rough price...

He said that he didn't think that was too bad, and then I realize he is going to price shop it. Right next door to this place a new sign shop just opened up. I asked how much the next door quoted him, and he admitted he hasn't gotten a quote from them, yet. But they just did a banner for him, and I vaguely remember that he asked me how much that banner would cost. The guy told me that I quoted $100, the guy next door quoted $125, and the guy down the street quoted $350... I was a little confused, and he said he wants to give everyonean equal shot at doing wor for him.

I just wanted to knock this asshat stupid....the thing is all he ever does is ask prices, and I have yet to do work for him. ..

Oh well, vent over. I'm going back to work now.

Marlene

since he is a hardware store, could it be those other shops also shop in his store so he wants to do business with his customers, not just one?

JMPrinting

I know a guy who owns a used appliance store. He is in a hole in the wall building which his dad owns and probably pays his rent and he has an apartment upstairs. He doesn't spend any money on advertising or anything and always says "he can't afford it" but always gets quotes. He never ordered anything from me.

I come home one day and my washer isn't working properly. I text him and asked if he had a good high efficiency washer and I will trade him for front signage (extra max metal I have) flat signs, calendard vinyl. I was doing it to help the guy and I was busy with other jobs as always. He was hounding me for days about getting his signs done and texting me everyday and asking if they were done. After the 3rdday I took my sweet *** time on them. If he was previously a paying customer I would have done them faster. I could have went and got a new washer that day but I wanted him to get some signage since all he had was a dry erase board outside that he wrote his company name on in marker.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I've always tried to give a range or ballpark when out and about and explain a few of the details that affect the pricing. Hand them a card and ask them to include all the details; logo, text, colors, size, long or short term, talk about the difference between layout and design, and mention revisions. Then, tell them you will email them an accurate written quote. I often do this in the shop as well but I take notes and their business info. Only serious shopper will invest the time.

I have the philosophy that if you give them numbers quickly, without any education, you're in the commodity business and they are going to shop for the cheapest widget. Instead, I try and figure out what the client wants, balance it with what they need, and give them my best effort. Granted, If I think they are cheap or just shopping they get about 5 minutes of my best effort and they get to pick a font off the list on the wall and a color. You want service you have to pay for it, you want quality you have to pay for it...

When it's slow I will spend a little more time with each customer, when it's slammed my first question is "how soon do you need it?"

Just my one cent worth of thoughts.

Jillbeans

I would type up a proposal, and hand it to the guy's boss, saying "Hey please give this to your clerk" That way the boss can see that the clerk has a side business and also that the clerk is not working 100% for the hardware if he's getting quotes while working, as a matter of convenience.
Little ****-ant.
Love....Jill

gabagoo

I would type up a proposal, and hand it to the guy's boss, saying "Hey please give this to your clerk" That way the boss can see that the clerk has a side business and also that the clerk is not working 100% for the hardware if he's getting quotes while working, as a matter of convenience.
Little ****-ant.
Love....Jill

Your nasty jill... i love it

bomaboat

I don't see the problem with a potential client asking for quotes. I don't even see the problem with a potential client asking for quotes frequently and never giving you the work. Either you're interested in getting his work and you give him the quotes or you tell him that you'll pass. There are a million things you can choose to be grumpy about. This is just silly.

JMPrinting

I don't see the problem with a potential client asking for quotes. I don't even see the problem with a potential client asking for quotes frequently and never giving you the work. Either you're interested in getting his work and you give him the quotes or you tell him that you'll pass. There are a million things you can choose to be grumpy about. This is just silly.

When you have quoted almost a dozen things and never get a job from it...it's a huge waste of time. I could be quoting real customers or working on their jobs. I don't want a can kicker/window shopper hanging around wasting time when I already work 60+ hours a week

bomaboat

This is a good reason to do direct-to-business work only. Dealing with the walk-ins and the general public is the pits.

Vinyldog

I can't remember the last time I went anywhere that I didn't get cornered by someone wanting a price on something. Usually something I don't even do. "well you should man, there's a lot of money in that". Right, duly noted, I will look into putting dog photos on flower-pots. (as if I haven't already).
Better yet is the endless stream of calls at home while trying to relax. "Hey remember me? We went to school together twenty years ago. I've never ask you for anything so now you owe ME a favor".