Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the Font!@#%#

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by Lane Booth, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Lane Booth

Lane Booth Member

May 18, 2005
    This is bad... So bad I'm on the verge of telling the customer, "Please don't make me do this!" But his son made the design and this is what he wants, first on a banner and then on a sign. I'm not sure what font his son started out with here, but then he obviuosly got creative. If anyone here can point me in the right direction for the original font I'm sure I can recreate this atrocity, and then hide my head in shame... Thanks in advance, Lane.

sdfooiusdf!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh man!!! I thought I had this figured out....:Oops:

Plan B: The picture is on the MyFonts.com site, in the "What the Font!" section. Please help, my profit margin on this job is going downhill fast due to this font.

Tags:
  2. 7oaks

7oaks Active Member

Aug 12, 2004
    LOUISIANA
    It would help if you posted it here. What exactly am I looking for on What the font.

Ken

3. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    the pic is not there. If you uploaded it to run a search it is only "there" for you...

right click your pic on their site & choose properties... you will get the URL that way... at least paste that in here to give us a look at your problem font.

4. Lane Booth

Lane Booth Member

May 18, 2005
    Here's the picture.

[​IMG]:Coffee: :Coffee: :Coffee:

5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG]
    Wow! that kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I doubt the font is identifiable.

6. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    just reset in a better font, in less time then that spent on this post... then offer the client to have nephew-artist email you the font... or client accept your version... or move on to the next job.

7. Jen Goodwin

Jen Goodwin Active Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Maine
    OMG...you can't read it - Who's pizza? Not only is it spelled wrong...it's in a font that makes it harder to read! ...and is that mugs and subs? Okay I figured out that it was Wings...but still - You should really be upfront with this guy and tell him that the basic layout is workable but the typeface has got to go! If he wants a banner to attract customers, it needs to be legible - just show him your version of this same layout and let him be the judge. If he still insists on using his son's layout...tell him your son will make the banner :Big Laugh J/K

8. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Since when do you HAVE to do such a monstrocity?

I agree with Jen! If he insists on it....fire him!

9. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    The typeface would probably be easier to read if it didn't have that black drop shadow placed behind already dark text.
    :Oops:

Not sure what the font is though. It kinda looks like Compacta with some stuff bitten out of it with a few pathfinder operations.

10. Leondo

Leondo Member

May 17, 2005
    MY EYES!!!

[​IMG]

11. jimdes

jimdes Active Member

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't think I'll eat pizza for a month . . . Holy Crap!

12. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    Show him this thread and tell him the last thing he wants for his business is a sign that people laugh at and think looks like crap. Still have no idea what the name of the place is and my guess is that if the sign looks so bad the pizza must rot too.

13. seaviewsigns

seaviewsigns Member

Dec 7, 2004
    print it on 8.5 x 11 and spray mount it to a used pizza box... there's his sign... haha!!!

you don't know this guy from more than being a customer, do you?

14. Leondo

Leondo Member

May 17, 2005
    looks like it says RL!!Z'S PIZZA :Big Laugh

15. Jen Goodwin

Dec 17, 2003
    Maine
    I still can't figure out what it says....I thought it said Bluz at first! :help:

16. Leondo

Leondo Member

May 17, 2005
    After starring at it for a while the logo says RUIZ'S PIZZA which i think is a terrible name for a place...
    to many izses (ex. im going to eat at ruizzesseszzeszezzz pizzzza):wine-smi:

17. Jen Goodwin

Dec 17, 2003
    Maine
    Ah Ha! I see it now! Much like those stupid posters that if you stare at long enough you can finally see an image. :Big Laugh

18. 7oaks

7oaks Active Member

Aug 12, 2004
    LOUISIANA
    I am so glad someone figured out the name. One of my customers called me today and said make me a no fishing sign. I made it he liked it. life is good. What a customer:peace!:

19. Lane Booth

Lane Booth Member

May 18, 2005
    Ya'all Crack Me Up!!!

Into the third and final revision now... I got the client to give up on that specific font, layed it all out nice and pretty, spliced, trimmed, over-and-underlay welded, grouped, sorted and ready to send to the cutter,... leterally 5 seconds away from sending the first cuts to the plotter,... the phone rang, it was him,... he had me chop all the corners of the font square to look more like his sons layout (Grrrr). Back to the drawing board.

Then I added all the text to the blank side areas, no added charge, just "please let me help this banner." Here's the outcome... Thanks for all the support yesterday everyone. You helped get me thru a baaadddd day!

I don't have any spelling errors, do I?:U Rock:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  20. Jen Goodwin

Dec 17, 2003
    Maine
    Much better Lane!! I'm glad that you changed the font...he may not know it, but his sign is much more effective now!! Good job!