• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what the HECK HIP reflective?????

skyhigh

Does anyone know why white HIP will get a film, and/or totally scratched when cleaning with ISO alcohol?

It would seem this occurs when using too much alcohol on the rag. At first it seems like a milky film develops. When its wiped again (with a damp rag of application fluid/water/whatever), about half of the film disappears, and the remaining haze is not a "haze" at all. Its actually all scratched up.

I called the rep, and he sounded totally confused, and asked why I would wipe with Isopropal Alcohol. He said he never heard of such a thing. He then asked if I could send a sample. I told him this has occurred over dozens of batches of their product. As a matter of fact, this has happened when using every manufacturer of HIP. He also asked if I could send a picture......haha......that is very difficult.

Anyone have an idea????? Has this happened to you????
Please:thankyou:

Desert_Signs

I've used nikkalite, 3m, and oracal HIP. Always wiped with 70% ISO. Never had the problem you're describing.

EXCEPT for when someone used denatured instead of iso. Are you SURE you're not using denatured alcohol?

skyhigh

I've used nikkalite, 3m, and oracal HIP. Always wiped with 70% ISO. Never had the problem you're describing.

EXCEPT for when someone used denatured instead of iso. Are you SURE you're not using denatured alcohol?

Got the bottle sitting in front of me as I type. 91% Isopropyl Alcohol.

I will say, she got these blanks (with HIP applied) shipped in from a reputable sign supply company. Actually we have dealt with a couple companies over the last 20+ years.....One that uses Avery, and the other 3M. Both products will do this wild "milky" film. I actually thought maybe the sheets had a protective clear "static cling" film that she needed to remove....nope.

So we made a couple phone calls.....
1) To my 3M rep. When I explained what was happening, his initial response was to question why we were cleaning with ISO.....and he never heard of using the product. :)cool:really????)

2) Second call was to the sign supply company that was sheeting these blanks (they use Avery). Their "GUESS" was..... Perhaps the alcohol was breaking down the permanent clear coat on the sheeting.....that along with the paper towels scratching the film.
----- Hmmmmmm, the ISO doesn't cause this kinda damage to regular vinyl????

I'm at a loss here. I'm sure someone has experienced this before....... If not, give it a try. Use a fairly wet paper towel (iso) and go over some white HIP.

The only alternative I can suggest, would be to clean with a mild alcohol, or perhaps application fluid???!!!
It would be great to have a definitive answer though!!!

skyhigh

HIP + ISO 91% = Major haze & Scratchin

Any sign makers know why?

FYI.....
I already know the answer, but thought it would be fun to see if anyone else knows.:rolleyes:
The first person with the correct answer wins a prize!!!!!! :covereyes:

:Big Laugh

John Butto

Fool's gold.

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Rubbing alcohol is not pure and usually contained some oils that are beneficial for skin, but leave a residue.
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Please send my prize to the young Mexicans down on the Texas border.[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif][/FONT]