• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What the hot setup in web design these days?

speedmedia

I notice a lot of stuff is built using .css. Is this the hot setup? I have been building sites for about 10 years now and love them but am ready to learn something new. I have always built my sites using tables and basic .html but I am seeing a lot of neat designs that seem to use css that are tableless.

What is your hot ticket to web design? Are you a table based builder? Layers?

Give it to me...

Thanks,
Kurt

animenick65

Yea, CSS is big right now, but I'm sure there are few that are on the leading edge of using something new. I remember when integrating PHP was the big thing. I remember designing in pure HTML and JScript as well. I could never keep up with how things were changing, not enough to make it worth the time investment to learn it all. Though these new ideas and technologies really progress things.

JoshLoring

Anything with a good CMS System. I usually photoshop what I want and convert over to Wordpress or Joomla. There are several sites out there that offer PSD2Joomla, PSDtoHTML

Check them out. If you use Content management you will be way better off for adding new articles and features where as without it.. you have to do page by page. I know, I have older sites without CMS and it takes to long so I let them sit. My newer sites with CMS I can have anyone update in 2 mins.

animenick65

Anything with a good CMS System. I usually photoshop what I want and convert over to Wordpress or Joomla. There are several sites out there that offer PSD2Joomla, PSDtoHTML

Check them out. If you use Content management you will be way better off for adding new articles and features where as without it.. you have to do page by page. I know, I have older sites without CMS and it takes to long so I let them sit. My newer sites with CMS I can have anyone update in 2 mins.

Seems overly complicated. All the good designers I know actually use a wordpress backend to manage everything. Instant content management without having to create a portal from scratch or use something off the shelf you'd have to pay for. Intuitive and allows the client to manage most of their content easily.

J Hill Designs

I had a client that had their site setup in wordpress - whoever did it made it a big PITA to update...

I write custom backend admin pages for dynamic content with all of my websites, using php/mysql

artist4christ

CSS isn't just the big thing, its a web standard, the leading edge is CSS3 which will not fully be supported by browsers until ie 6 drops off the map. Tables were never meant to be used as a layout convention it was just a work around to get cooler looking websites. CMS is def what almost all of my clients want. I built my own CMS that my clients use, that was pretty big task but its been a great value add.

artist4christ

Seems overly complicated. All the good designers I know actually use a wordpress backend to manage everything. Instant content management without having to create a portal from scratch or use something off the shelf you'd have to pay for. Intuitive and allows the client to manage most of their content easily.

Wordpress is just a blog based CMS, there are soooo many option available both off the shelf and custom built.

cptcorn

adad

That's exactly what Josh said, you miss read his post somewhere a long the line.

speedmedia

Can I incorporate CMS into a CSS built site?

I am very familiar with html, flash and basic CSS just really stopped following trends a few years ago and stuck with basic stuff and it hurt me.

Now I want to take and pt something together that is easy on the eyes and easy to update. I think I want to create it all in CSS. Just looking for a little something to tickle my brain...lol

Thanks,
Kurt

trakers

HTML with a little CSS for formating.

Anything else (PHP, AJAX, Javascript, Flash, etc) are all bullshit and should be banished from the web. Static HTML pages are where it's at baby, delivering information in a clean, easy to read format. All that other crap is nothing but fluff.

JoshLoring

That's exactly what Josh said, you miss read his post somewhere a long the line.

Thank you =)

Yes you can Kurt. You saw my site.. Its CMS managed. My other site is all custom CSS from scratch Html coding.

My sites all have a backend as well as a hidden front end. One site has a alient login where they can view trade pricing and place orders right from my site =)

HeavyHitter

I like to build sites from CMS systems like WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal. The admin panel makes it easy for clients to add content. For SEO... a CMS is the way to go IMHO. My current site I am messing around with uses wordpress. I still have a lot of work to do on the site. Yes, I know I need to add more graphics, but content is KEY for SEO. Google does not read pretty pictures, it reads text. Check it out if you want. www.509media.com

FYI... I posted a couple trailer wraps yesterday morning. By lunch time I had the number one ranking on google for my local town. Google "dothan trailer wrap" and you will see my site is at the top. It is all about key words built into the content you type.

Dan

J Hill Designs

...Anything else (PHP, AJAX, Javascript, Flash, etc) are all bullshit and should be banished from the web. Static HTML pages are where it's at baby, delivering information in a clean, easy to read format. All that other crap is nothing but fluff.

I would have to say that dynamic custom content is ACTUALLY where it's at...

artist4christ

I would have to say that dynamic custom content is ACTUALLY where it's at...

Agreed, nothing like my clients being able to upload a photo and it formats the thumbnail and whatever other images they need done, without them ever having to touch a photo editing program. No to mention they can crop resize and add effects as well.