• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what to buy

ikarasu

So, do you charge boss man extra $$$ to run stuff at home, while having a beer?
I sure would...
I'm also trying to envision how my wife would feel about that. Once I almost brought a CNC table home to work on for some extra cash, but I could just imagine, hearing the garage door opening every few minutes, "aren't you done with that thing!"
Kind of... I used to charge by the SQFT before we had a Latex at work, we had a solvent and it died on us... They were going to outsource for an insane amount, I did it for half of what it'd cost them... I paid my printer off in a week...it was nice!

Now that we have a latex at work... I made a deal where I'll print whatever overflow we have at home, he pays for the ink and materials. I know in the long run he's coming out ahead... but again, I just load a roll... hit print and thats it. My side jobs have paid for the machine 5x over, I havent had to repair it yet...but I imagine he's enjoying the extra free labor that he'd pay for repairs,and if not... I have enough set aside to replace the machine if I had to. I dont mind keeping rolls at home and when we're busy with other jobs at work I just throw it on while watching TV. Sometimes it can be draining..This past 2 weeks I've been working 6AM - 5 PM, coming home... printing for a few more hours, etc. Even though It's 10 mins to load then watch TV for an hour or two... it's still tiring at times. But I'm under no obligation to do it, so when I need a break I take a break and we fall behind a bit. If I didn't make a ton of money on the side, and get all this free ink.... I wouldn't do it... even if It was just overtime pay, it's not worth it... Need to have a boundary between home, and work... so I understand your wife not wanting a CNC at home! My situation is win win for both of us though.

That being said... I originally bought the latex because I wanted a new toy to play with. It was fun in the beginning... now we have them at work, so it just feels like work whenever I use it... I'm looking for my next toy to purchase :) I showed my wife the Colorado, and the vanguard flatbed... When she saw the price tag I got vetoed... one day :D

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations
work from
Kind of... I used to charge by the SQFT before we had a Latex at work, we had a solvent and it died on us... They were going to outsource for an insane amount, I did it for half of what it'd cost them... I paid my printer off in a week...it was nice!

Now that we have a latex at work... I made a deal where I'll print whatever overflow we have at home, he pays for the ink and materials. I know in the long run he's coming out ahead... but again, I just load a roll... hit print and thats it. My side jobs have paid for the machine 5x over, I havent had to repair it yet...but I imagine he's enjoying the extra free labor that he'd pay for repairs,and if not... I have enough set aside to replace the machine if I had to. I dont mind keeping rolls at home and when we're busy with other jobs at work I just throw it on while watching TV. Sometimes it can be draining..This past 2 weeks I've been working 6AM - 5 PM, coming home... printing for a few more hours, etc. Even though It's 10 mins to load then watch TV for an hour or two... it's still tiring at times. But I'm under no obligation to do it, so when I need a break I take a break and we fall behind a bit. If I didn't make a ton of money on the side, and get all this free ink.... I wouldn't do it... even if It was just overtime pay, it's not worth it... Need to have a boundary between home, and work... so I understand your wife not wanting a CNC at home! My situation is win win for both of us though.

That being said... I originally bought the latex because I wanted a new toy to play with. It was fun in the beginning... now we have them at work, so it just feels like work whenever I use it... I'm looking for my next toy to purchase :) I showed my wife the Colorado, and the vanguard flatbed... When she saw the price tag I got vetoed... one day :D

this is an amazing story. Work from home done right
ok we looking to buy a printer like 1mtr wide maybe little more .
looked at the canon 4100s .
good option since its for in home and it has no uv inks that smell bad,
are there other options i can look at ? the canon is water based ink (lucia ink orso) and you can print on much media . but we also have a smaller 600 wide roland cutter and if possible also wanten to print decals for pressing on shirts orso. i know with solvent inks it works and also know water based inks are not that suited for that . or is it?
so what are options to look at that can do the thing without getting an anoying smell in your home ??

gr.
john

I am also looking on getting a small roll to roll printer. According to my research that If you are concerned about the smell, and power related issue. These are the two best print solutions that i have seen- one the HP latex and the other one EcoClean which i have only seen by one company so far Stratojet,