• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to check for on a used printer

jpena9137

I'm new to printing and am looking at a couple of used units that sound great. Is there a checklist that I should go through when checking the unit out on a Roland or mimaki print/cut Eco-sol? I'm guessing that there are some print head test that can easily be run. What kinds of things am I looking out for?

thanks!

UnlimitedBT

How to check a used printer

Hi, virtually any printer has a number of built in tests so you don't have to have a printer connected - just have power. there is a demo or palette test, printhead test, system configuration test that has a printcount, major component life status count, some may even tell when was a current set of cartridges installed. Before you go check one out - you obviously will know make and model, do you due diligence, google it, find out how to print those tests, research if there are major complains about that particular model, just take in to account that there are always unhappy users to pretty much any piece of equipment so just a few complains about different things may be nothing serious, but if there are 10 posts about same failure in certain model - that could be the real thing, check the cost of the cartridges - you do not want to buy something that is unbelievably attractive to buy but cost an arm and the leg to run, also - you will need service/parts at some point, would be very logical to learn who is represented best where ever you are. If Roland dealer is 100 miles away and Mimaki is just a few blocks, choice is obvious. If you're on supertight budget, you'd be, most likely, buying something oldish, make sure it is supported - supplies and parts exist. Most important, remember - if it seems too good to be true - most likely - it is. I am a printshop owner and equipment dealer and besides advice above, can offer you a Xerox 8264E printer which is rebaged Mutoh ValueJet 1614. It is practically new in terms that it was never really utilized, prints beautifully, everything at 100% life left, it is 64 inch wide, eco-solvent printer.
Here is video:
http://youtu.be/tYlSgRKCyq8

Let me know if you interested otherwise good luck with your venture, if you have or will have more questions - ask away. I do not specialize in wide format and have this printer just because it was way too beautiful not to buy while I was picking up large lot of copiers/printer from a leasing company, but I will be glad to help you with my general knowledge and experience running on both sides of the industry i.e. Service and Printing .
As far as printer offered, I can mail you a printouts of all demo pages, I can palletize and ship nationwide. If you in USA and decide to come to see and touch, I can pick you up at airport and take you back - no obligation whatsoever.

Robert M

Used printers

Depends on the models. The Mimaki JV3 will no longer be supported by Mimaki in September. The older Rolands (SC and XC series) can be expensive to keep up as they have so many print heads. Look for a versacamm, valuejet or a Mimaki JV33

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Have you checked out the latex models yet? ProWraps who is on here has a killer deal on some used 60" units for only $5k you should check out latex for sure.

rturner381

Since your profile says your specialty is WALL GRAPHICS, how are you producing the jobs now? What do you want the printer to do for you? Are you planning on growing the wide format graphics portion of your business? Like BigFish said, an HP Latex printer for $5k is a killer deal. But, does the latex technology meet your needs, wants, and desires?

jpena9137

Since your profile says your specialty is WALL GRAPHICS, how are you producing the jobs now? What do you want the printer to do for you? Are you planning on growing the wide format graphics portion of your business? Like BigFish said, an HP Latex printer for $5k is a killer deal. But, does the latex technology meet your needs, wants, and desires?

Yes, we are currently just cutting vinyl and looking to get into printed wall decals (and likely other things too). There are certain things about the Hp Latex that seem attractive - lower maintenance, no smells because it will be in my home, prints are dry off the printer, etc. There is a dealer that can sell me a new unit delivered for 14K. Would still need a RIP software am limited by a 30" cutter until I upgrade that.

Talking to another guy who has a decent Roland SP540i and is asking 8750. Only 300 hours and clean print head tests. I am trying to weigh the two options to see what is best. Since I am new to printing I feel like I want to be conservative and go with the used unit, but I have also been in enough situations to know that sometimes it is better to buy the right product even if you need to grow into it...

MikePro

i can get ya into a jv3 for under 5k :)
...regardless of what you buy, don't take anyone's word for it.
- demand to see it printing, maybe even have them run a file of your own.
- test prints also show how clean the heads are firing and are a good indication of the health of the most important part of the printer.
- also doesn't hurt to lean-towards one that has incredible amounts of DIY support on these forums. (like a jv3!)

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Your doing this out of your home!? Then Latex is the answer hands down that's what you should be getting, like I said you can get a great USED 60" from Pro Wraps for only $5k and Wall Graphics are one of the best applications that machine does.

JgS

I vote for latex too. Talk to your local service tech. Thay may know of one for sale and since hey most likely did the work on it they can tell you about it's history.

k.a.s.

I have a JV-33 in excellent condition for sale. Has tons of new parts. Asking $8000.

PM or call me if you want more info 330-877-6241

Kevin